navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Story of Life Part 1
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Story of Life Part 1 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ILoveTheRain
since 2008-03-02
Posts 157
GA

0 posted 2008-04-14 11:43 PM

My name is Lee.  I am thirteen years of age, and my parents are on the verge of a divorce. They always fight, and it is really starting to get on mine and my brother, Jeremy's, nerves. I don't know about him, but the feeling is more of annoyance. I don’t really think that it is bad to argue so much. I think it is part of everyday life, just something that every married couple does every single day.

The feeling changed when I found out that my parents were actually going to pull the divorce off. I don’t quite understand why, but it has something to do with money. My mom is always crying, and my dad is always yelling, as usual. Jeremy is gone most of the time because he has a job and he can drive. So, I don't think he completely knows everything that is going on. But me, I’m always at home to listen to everything. I’m not quite old enough to have a job or drive, but I always leave when I get the chance to go to a friend’s house and stay the night.

My mom is into card playing, and even gambling online. I found out later that was one of the big reasons of the divorce. She lost $20,000 worth of money trying to win it. She also tried opening a flea market to help her and my aunt earn some money, but that was another $30,000 down the drain. She has a few mental problems, and I think they were some of the causes of her urges to do weird things for money.  Sometimes she gets into these moods where she just wants to start a new hobby, like sewing or making strange crafts.

Anyway, the divorce ended up being final on the 14th of November 2005. The next day I hear my mom has a new boyfriend already. That kind of set me off, but as usual, I have to play it cool and act like I’m happy about it. His name is Charlie. He looks a bit troubled, like he is a criminal or something. I think he is, actually. But he is always really nice to my mom, so of course I start to feel better about the whole deal and think that maybe this could be a good thing after all. I overheard my dad talking, though. He said that my mom had been seeing Charlie since February, which means that my mom was cheating on my dad. That adds another reason why they had the divorce, I guess.

Around this time I start feeling really depressed and do stupid things like inflicting self-pain just to let all the anger out. I also started to pick up a bad smoking habit. My mom always does it, so I guess it made me wonder what it was like. At first, I didn’t really know how to smoke a cigarette. I would just suck the smoke in, but I wouldn’t inhale it. I did that for a whole pack of cigarettes until I realized what you were actually supposed to do. And boy did that first inhale send me through the roof! I was coughing so much I thought I was going to die! So, after I got used to it, smoking became one of the stupidest habits of my life.

At the time I find out my mom has a boyfriend, and when I’m going through one of my depression periods, my dad has a girlfriend. Her name is Tina. She is a little bit like my mom. Not the looks or anything, but the way her life is set out for her. I wondered why my dad was going back down that road. I think he started to wonder too, because that little fling died out quick. He went on some kind of dating website on the internet to find a new girlfriend. A couple of days after the whole Tina deal, he met this new woman named Julia. I was wondering who was in the driveway that night talking to him.

Now this lady is totally different. Her kids are the total opposite of Jeremy and I. Julia is so mother-like. It’s something I’m really not used to, because all my mom did was sleep, eat, and sit at the computer. Julia cooks, cleans, and has a lot of energy. She has a loving family that I thought only existed in movies. Don’t get me wrong, they have their problems, but nothing like my family. Her kids are comfortable talking to her about anything, and it really makes me sick because I want someone in my life to share that kind of relationship with. I don’t even have friends like that, much less a mom.

To be continued…

[This message has been edited by ILoveTheRain (04-15-2008 05:45 PM).]

© Copyright 2008 Jessica - All Rights Reserved
shyvl
since 2008-04-11
Posts 531
texas, usa
1 posted 2008-04-15 04:14 PM

Okay I came I read, now I think I will head back to poetry. Thanks
sharyn

gilead
since 2008-03-10
Posts 1067
nevada, USA
2 posted 2008-04-15 04:36 PM

Every life is the story of itself, and is filled with many a turn. I truly hope things work out for the good in your life in all its complexity.

Best wishes'

Art

x-tears-x
since 2008-04-13
Posts 43
England
3 posted 2008-04-15 08:37 PM

I hope things work out. sure they will. dont be too upset about your parents being divorced - mine are too and it can be mega confusing but it gets better and all that. wish you luck hun!
ILoveTheRain
since 2008-03-02
Posts 157
GA
4 posted 2008-04-15 09:24 PM

Thanks everyone.
I'm making this a story. So it still has much much more editing and adding to go.

SkaaDee
since 2008-04-07
Posts 116
Canada
5 posted 2008-04-15 10:09 PM

surviving childhood, in some capacity, is everyone's first major life hurdle.
I know people in their latter years, still knocking it over.
It sounds to me you will do fine.

[This message has been edited by SkaaDee (04-15-2008 10:47 PM).]

Caliban
since 2008-04-23
Posts 57

6 posted 2008-04-25 11:27 PM

Much luck on everything working out, and good luck with the story.

Muna seasaimid le ceartas, ní sheasfaidh ceartas linn - Francis Bacon

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Story of Life Part 1

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary