navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Secrets (Part 3)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Secrets (Part 3) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
openthoughts
since 2006-01-16
Posts 94
Where the child can be free

0 posted 2007-10-11 09:24 PM

Light streamed in the window as the hum fell in time to the buzz of the alarm clock.  Sara had already left for work and, bless her, had allowed me to sleep a little longer.  It was needed.  I dressed, ate, and drove to work, all in silence.  At work, I sat in my office and stared.  I had work to do, of course.  There was always work to be done.  Today, it was the motivation that was lacking.  Employees entered and asked their usual questions of trivialities and I tried to answer as quickly and tersely as possible so as to keep the disturbance time to a minimum.  I needed to be left alone.

Good dog.

It was so sudden.  I was on the floor with no recollection of how I got there.  

Good dog.

I was being called.  There was no denying it.  Working up the courage, I formed the best possible response my panic-stricken mind could summon.

Who is this?

In my mind, the voice was cold and lifeless.  Not at all like Sara’s ThoughtVoice which was gentle and kind.  Have you heard of Big Brother?

Of course.  1984 by George Orwell.  What does that have to do with anything?

We—I am like Big Brother.  I am always with you; always watching you, Mal.  

Am I Winston Smith then?  Am I to be tortured and broken?

Yes.  But I am not Big Brother. Big Brother did not create Smith as I created you.  You owe what you are now to me.  And so you may call me Father.
I will do nothing of the sort.

Yes you will.  I am not ordering you.  I am simply informing you of that fact.

My questions had to be chosen carefully.  Some would reveal truth and others would bury me deeper.  How did you get in my head?

Why, through the chip of course, the voice answered

Then why can’t I screen your calls?

You would choose to ignore your own Father?  I repeated my last question.  Why would Father allow his children to decide whether or not they will speak to him?  

This is absurd!  I found myself mentally screaming at the voice.  

So angry, so angry.  

I could detect nothing, absolutely no emotion, in that voice.  For the second time in less than twelve hours, my body began to shake.  Get out of my head!

No it’s not.

Not what?

It’s not yours.  This is not your head anymore.
I covered my ears in fear and desperation, trying to keep the voice away.  It stayed.  All day, it stayed.

Not yours not yours not yours…

© Copyright 2007 openthoughts - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2007-10-12 01:04 AM

Holy cow! That was fun, I read them as a single post. Excellent job. It must be nice to be so creative.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2007-10-14 09:13 PM

And, continuing from my response to your previous part, one could never be sure that the voices were not merely a more forceful "talking to one's self."  Indeed, if I were to drug you so that you lost consciousness for a time such that when you awoke I claimed that I had in fact installed a thought phone in your head would you not be tempted to think that you talking to yourself was actually you talking to someone else?

This is a very fun and thought-provoking story.

Of course you might want to watch how much you derive from dystopian novels.  I believe "Father" was the Orwellian Big Brother in the film Equilibrium.  Of course "Father" is also the master computer in Alien Resurrection.  The latter is also without emotion, I think.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Secrets (Part 3)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary