navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Overlooked
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Overlooked Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2007-02-07 12:42 PM

Overlooked
By Larry Chadwick
My repeat offenses are not attempts to garner more

It takes little or no effort to be grateful for blessings. Prosperity often can be considered its own reward. Good times are typically a sure means of experiencing joy. And while melancholy can be impossible to overcome its victims are still denied any excuse for a lack of appreciation. Reviewing the history of our lives is a simple process, if the search is for blessings. Though the quantity may vary the tally is quite effortless. Hence it takes work to be ungrateful for blessings.

Then it occurred to me that perhaps there were blessings I had missed. There is no quarrel that it is easy to love the lovely. Yet even those we love the most often suffer the most because of us. It is a cruel irony that our greatest likelihood of suffering can be directly related to our effort to love and be loved. And it is in that category that I believe we have missed, perhaps, our most important blessing.

It is in the arena of unconditional love where we find our safest opportunity to be loved. And it is there that somehow we find ways to offend or disappoint. And when our transgression is inexcusable or indefensible we pause. And we wait. A wrong undeserved, committed by our chosen, flawed behavior. In that moment we discover life’s highest gift. Unearned, unmerited. Grace. God’s invention. The strongest power in the universe. It accomplishes the impossible.
February 6, 2007

© Copyright 2007 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
1 posted 2007-02-09 10:13 PM

Larry:  I enjoyed reading this piece and agree with you. One other thing I would like to mention are the many times.......at least in my own life.........where unhappy circumstances turned into a blessing in disguise. I now try to look at these situations that arise, in that light. Not easy I admit, but I think I'm gaining ground!

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2007-03-07 10:16 PM

Betty Lou,
Thank you dear friend. I couldn't agree more. It was in hard times that I learned "grief without growth is pain without purpose".

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Overlooked

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary