navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CHILDHOOD VIGNETTES - Part 1 - The Early Years
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic CHILDHOOD VIGNETTES - Part 1 - The Early Years Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

0 posted 2006-12-23 02:46 AM

My father always said my birth in January of 1928, heralded the Great Depression, which started its slide later that year, and became full blown in 1929. Who Knew! (To this day, I'm not sure whether he was stating a fact, or placing the blame!)

For the next few years, times were hard in this Country and elsewhere. Families tried desperately to survive. We were one of the lucky ones. We had a home to call our own. We even had a one party phone! He was a Police Captain, and in those days, their jobs were secure! He was so handsome, tall and strong. I was so proud of him! He received many citations because of his bravery..In the 1920's, Jersey City, (where we lived,) was plagued by the "Tong Wars" between the various Chinese immigrants who settled there because of its proximity to New York City just across the river.(I still have the scrapbook my mother kept, detailing his exploits!)

My mother was a Funeral Director, one of the first women in New Jersey to hold that title back then! (Years later, when I became a soloist, the joke about town was that "My father shot them, my mother buried them, and I sang at the funeral!) She was such a jolly, friendly person, that we thought of entering her as a guest on "What's My Line", (a poplar TV show in the 1950's, whereby a panel had to guess the mystery guest's occupation.) Because of her personality, we felt they would never be able to guess it! However, my mother declined the invitation, feeling it would be demeaning to her profession.

Many a morning when in High School, I used to hitch a ride to school in the Hearse, wearing a flower in my hair plucked from the latest wake! Death, to me at that time, was not being allowed to play the radio for fear it would disturb the grieving relatives!

Some of the streets still had cobblestones and in my grandmother's neighborhood, twice a week horse drawn wagons, the clip clop of their hooves sounding on the pavement, would draw housewives into the street to shop for fresh vegetables and fruit. I can stil hear the cackling, sometimes strident voices, of the elderly Italian women, scarves covering their graying hair, haggling with the produce man to give them a better price. However, it was the sight and sounds of the women each claiming they had seen it first, struggling to snatch the last choice tomtoes or peaches, that is indelibly stamped in my brain! In the area that my family lived, produce was sold outside of the store in the open air, similar to the farmers markets we see today.

I vividly remember as a small child, going to the corner store to buy a quart of milk. I carried a small aluminum, empty, quart sized bucket with a lid, and handed it to the Proprietor. He in turn, dipped a large ladle into a huge milk can, holding untold gallons of the pristine white liquid, and transferred it to my smaller one, admonishing me, sternly, not to spill it on the way home! If I wanted a pound of butter or cheese, he would turn to an array of large open barrels behind him and proceed to carve chunks of the stuff and weigh it on his big, cumbersome scales, gradually whittling down, or adding to it, until he arrived at the correct weight.

While waiting for my order to be filled, I wandered over to the candy counter to pick out my reward for running the errand. An enormous glass case, held an infinite variety of penny candy in all its splendor! Too much for a small child to consider lightly. This required serious consideration! With a whole nickel at my disposal, I required a large bang for my buck. Should I choose the brightly colored Jaw Breakers that I had to hide from my parents, or would it be the rich, chocolate covered peanuts and raisins I so dearly loved, that would last me as far as the front door! No, this decision called for the utmost strategy. Finally, in desperation, the proprietors wife, who stood guard over her domain like a wolf guarding its young, slipped a variety of each, into a tiny white bag, (adding an extra piece for good measure,) and collected my nickel from my sweaty little hands! I skipped deleriously out the front door, only to be called back by the proprietor...I had forgotten my milk!

My brother, sister and I (I was the baby of the family) attended Catholic School, run by the Dominican Nuns. To a small child, they were very inhibiting, with their black and white starched habits, covering everything but their faces! Because it was the best school in the city at the time, we were sent, one by one, to live with my grandmother during the week, and went home on weekends. Now, my Italian grandmother didn't speak a word of English, so we all learned to speak Italian at a very early age. My aunt Grace (and two of my uncles, who also lived with us before the war,) kept a wary eye on us, to keep us out of trouble. (My poor grandmother didn't stand a chance... when she saw my brother reading comic books instead of homework, he blithely informed her he was working on a a school project!)

My brother John, was always currying favor with Sr. Mildred (who only liked the boys!) until one day, after his bringing flowers to her from time to time (supposedly out of his allowance,) she looked out of her window, which faced the cemetery behind the church next door, and spotted my brother, nonchalantly picking flowers from the graves, freshly placed there, by grieving relatives! Not only did he receive a paddling from Sr. Mildred, but an extra measure from my grandmother!

Sister was especially hard on me, for besides being a girl, she knew that the Principal of the school, was a dear friend of my mother and she went out of her way, not to show favoritism. One particular memory I have of her, was when she punished me for chewing gum in class. She placed it on my nose, and had me sit that way for the rest of the day! (Ah yes, the good ole days!)

As for my sister Lucille, we barely tolerated each other. She and my brother were born eighteen months apart and routinely ignored me. (Looking back on it, it's a wonder she spoke to me at all!) Not only was I "Daddy's Sweetheart," I was also teacher's pet (with the exception of the aforementioned Sr. Mildred) because it was discovered, at an early age, that the "Lord had gifted me with a beautiful voice." (Their words, not mine.) Sr. Annette, the music teacher, made it her mission in life, to develop it to is fullest potential and guide me to a career in music. My poor older sister therefore, had to contend with people constantly asking her 1.) "Are you the girl that sings?" or 2) "Aren't you proud of your little sister!" (75 years later, people are still asking her the same question!) Recently, with complete affection, I gave her a bookmark inscribed:

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
But If I die before I wake
And stand before the pearly gate
I hope the Lord the King of Kings
Won't ask me if I'm the girl who
sings!

It's funny, the little pieces of minutae that pop into your consciousness when you least expect it. These were the early grammar school days. Carefree days before World War Two changed all of our lives forever. But that's another story, for another time!

------
Grandma

© Copyright 2006 Beatrice Boyle - All Rights Reserved
kaila
since 2006-12-24
Posts 37
PA
1 posted 2006-12-24 10:57 PM

Beatrice,

I have read some of your poetry this evening, and then I came across this prose.  It is the prose that rings true, has an authentic voice, and clearly captures moments and relationships-- pictures and memories.

Perhaps my response is because I relate to so many of the images and memories--I am not a youngster, but I cannot be blamed for the Depression, either. However, I suspect my feelings about the piece result from the way you turn each phrase and paint each word picture. I hear you in this writing, and I believe you.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2006-12-25 07:21 PM

Beatrice Boyle, I so enjoyed this little vignette. As I was born in 1932 my memories are almost the same. I well remember standing in front of the long penny candy case with my few pennies clutched tightly in my hand. Also the fruit and Vegetable man; the milk man; the ice man; even the rag man who also rode into the neighborhood seated behind a horse and wagon.
Born in New Haven Connecticut I also lived in an Italian and Polish neighborhood. I loved the little family grocery store that sold home made Italian ice. I always  bought a penny cup of the vanilla nut flavor, which was served in a little white fluted paper cup. You just had to squeeze that little cup and let the ice come to  the top.  Oh,  I can still taste it.  Thank  you for bringing  me back there.  martyjo

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

3 posted 2006-12-26 06:47 AM

Merry Christmas Kaila, thank you for stopping by.

This exercise developed from project I started for my grandson, to leave behind a history of the family from my perspective as a child...and, like topsy...it just grew!

Once I started writing, it just kept flowing. I decided to expand it to my high school experiences and then, to life during www2. I will post each phase seperately, I think so not to be too long and boring.

Happy you enjoyed it.

Bea

Grandma Bea

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

4 posted 2006-12-27 04:00 AM

Thanks Late Arrival...so glad it was familiar to you and brought you back to tyour childhood. (Remember listening to our favorite soaps on the radio after school, while picturing what was happening in our minds?.  Remember Mama Goldberg and her "Hannukah Bush? or "The Shadow" and the Lone Ranger?

Bea

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2006-12-27 10:08 PM

Yes, I remember coming home for lunch and listening to radio soaps. Stella Dallas was the noon time one I remember. Fibber Mcgee and Molly, The Lone Ranger, Arthur Godrfey at night, So many of them.Good to stir the imagination.  martyjo
Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

6 posted 2006-12-29 01:01 AM

Oh...I still remember Stella Dallas and the movie they made of it some years later. I still cry when I remember Barbara Stanwyck standing outside watching her daughter's wedding with tears streaming down her face!

How about the Inner Sanctum on friday nights?  My brother used to scare the daylights out of us with the "Witches Tale"
when he baby sat with my sister and I!

Bea

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
7 posted 2007-01-15 04:39 PM

My father shot them, my mother buried them, and I sang at the funeral!...so funny...

you know you could get these published and get  an illustrator to illustrate the times or even get vintage photos or your own family ones if you have them..I think it is a delightful recalling of your childhood and of many others...

I am appreciating these...

Maureen

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

8 posted 2007-01-16 05:21 AM

Maureen, thank you so much for your encouragemt.  I have been thinking about it since I first wrote them, and posted them elsewhere.

I just don't know if it is long enough, and good enough to submit it to a publisher.   Since I've already posted it on another site on the web as well as this one, I don't know whether or not that would be a problem.
I guess I'm just too lazy to find out!

Watch for the conclusion!

Bea

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
9 posted 2007-01-16 05:52 AM

haven't you seen some of the smaller books..where they just put one idea  or scene on a page then continue to the next making it more  pages than you would think..It's like a mini history lesson but one that could accompany a reading  curriculum depending... I  would contact a school book publishing company if I were you.

M

Beatrice Boyle
since 2006-12-06
Posts 438

10 posted 2007-01-17 03:57 PM

Thanks Maureen, that's food for thought...we'll see.

Bea

Grandma Bea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » CHILDHOOD VIGNETTES - Part 1 - The Early Years

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary