navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Secrets
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Secrets Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2006-10-22 11:26 AM

Secrets

Everyone around has their own set of secrets. Ruby had a few of her own. Like the reason she had quit the choir even though she had a beautiful voice. It began innocently, just as everything does, the “good” reverend Patterson would keep her after practice- alone to work on her church solos. He started sitting a bit too close, and then hug her after, just a little too long. After a time the chair would be right up on her and his hand would graze her leg accidentally. He would excuse it then go right on as if it were the natural thing to do. The last time she was there he let his hand slip and rubbed the inside of her leg. But who would she tell? And who would believe her, since the “good” reverend held all the tickets to hell.
     A year or so later riding in the car going to church, Ruby saw some kids playing out in a yard. “Daddy, why aren’t those kids going to church?” as he took a deep drag off of his camel and fidgeted with his radio, he replied, “Those children are heathens girl, and they are going to hell.” She turned in the back seat, once again standing on her knees, watching them as they drove by. They looked happy and none of them had sad empty eyes. When they vanished out of sight she turned back right in the seat, fixed her slip and dress to again look like a perfect southern princess. And under her breath she said out loud, “I wish I was a heathen.” “What did you say?” her daddy asked. “Nothin’ “was the reply, but all the way to church confused she was thinking…here I am, riding on my way to heaven, and maybe I am going to hell for the things I feel and think. She just wasn’t sure. But she did know one thing for sure…the “good reverend Patterson would be there too with his own ticket. No matter how he had tried to scare us out of it.  

“all romantics meet the same fate”…Joni Mitchell

© Copyright 2006 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

1 posted 2006-10-22 12:53 PM

Yeah, that's the problem with believing in God.  God gives us all an excuse to realize our wildest fantasies no matter what the cost to others.  I realized that and became a heathen.  No, I like the word atheist better.
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
2 posted 2006-10-22 12:58 PM

NO WRONG...you miss the point
i believe in God
it is man i dont believe in

Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

3 posted 2006-10-22 01:40 PM

whoa!  Quick response.  Maybe the point of the story is different from what I said, but if you say you don't believe in man you're saying you don't believe in God.  God is just man in divine clothing.

Haven't you ever heard:  In the beginning God created man.  Man, being a gentelman, returned the favour.

jo_kritickisto
since 2006-08-17
Posts 15

4 posted 2006-10-22 02:05 PM

It's funny that I meet this piece after having just finished writing a piece on the results of letting emotion get the best of you.  I remember Ruby from a while back and it's good to hear about her again.

I agree with you, it is unfortunate that so many people are given to such lude behaviour.  I also resonate with your belief in God (and no, Philmont, I don't think I'm a god, or THE God of Abraham and Jacob).

As to Philmont's comments, I think they sound like the sort of premature comments made by rabble-rousers.  I can think of many problems that might arise from not believing in God, including a predisposition in some cases to disregard ethics for the sake of getting a few feels in, as our dear reverend does in the good "Slick Lady's" story.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Secrets

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary