navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Another Memory
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Another Memory Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA

0 posted 2006-06-18 11:15 PM

My dad and I arrived at church an hour early. We always do on Wednesday nights. My dad went to look around and pick up trash in the cemetery. I turned the key and the front door swung open. I turned on the back lights and walked to my favorite church pew and set the car keys down. I walked up to the front of the church and sat down on the piano bench. I flipped the light switch and five miniature spotlights came on above me. One shined down on the old hymnal book that was open to page 165. The black and white keys glistened just like they do on Sunday morning. I gently started playing the hymn. I closed my eyes and played by memory. The notes danced in my head as the song unfolded before my fingertips.
       My father broke my concentration as he opened the door and told me he was going to go pick up my Uncle K.K. for church. As he closed the door the wind swiftly blew the hymnal page from "Amazing Grace" to a song that I had never heard before. I wiped my hand over the top of the piano. The dust particles went everywhere, scattering over other books, papers, and flowers that were adorning the surrounding area. The smell of the dust brought back memories of the first Sunday I played all the way to the one before, the choir singing, people in the congregation following alone, and me playing one of my favorite church hymns, Amazing Grace, one key at a time.

This was a paper I had to write for my 8th grade english teacher about a memory.. any feedback is welcome.

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

[This message has been edited by the_girl_next_door (06-19-2006 12:57 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 Heather Sullivan - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2006-06-20 03:40 AM

the_girl_next_door , Hi, Just want you to know that just because there were no replies does not mean you did not write something interesting and well written. Sometimes we read and just do not have the time to stop to post.I enjoy what you have written. You are interesting and have good thoughts. best to you, martyjo

CrAzI_bAbI_cHiKa
since 2003-07-16
Posts 248

2 posted 2006-06-20 11:04 AM

Heather, my darling.
This is insightful. I really like this, I think its a good depiction of a memory, a memory that only you specifically can have. I also want to agree with LateArrival, I just haven't had the time to post on this. Great job hun.

<3ker

...btw, I won't be around for about a week. Vacation time haha. I'll talk to you sometime after the 29th <3

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Mae West

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2006-06-20 12:14 PM

Eight grade huh. I couldn't even put anything original on paper in eight grade. I was terrified and utterly devoid of confidence. Yup, you did good. And thanks for sharing that. It was a long time ago, right?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
4 posted 2006-06-20 05:26 PM

thanks to all of you..

Larry.. No it wasn't that long probably about 1 and 1/2 maybe two years ago. I'll be in tenth grade this fall.. but thank you..

~Heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2006-06-20 08:00 PM

Wow! Well, you impress me even more. You go girl.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
6 posted 2006-06-21 12:16 PM

Thanks Larry.. compliments like that lift my confidence. I really appreciate it.

~Heather~

nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
7 posted 2006-06-23 02:30 PM

If you wrote this in the 8th grade, you are truly gifted! I would say the same thing if you had been many years older. Don't you *dare* not write. Just try to make sure you always have something worth saying. :-)

A poem's just a poet in a word.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
8 posted 2006-06-23 05:37 PM

thanks.. that makes me feel good

~Heather`

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Another Memory

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary