navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » looking back
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic looking back Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2006-06-11 06:24 PM

Looking back
My Dad had an old Ford, black, with a rumble seat and a running board!  Wonderful ride. But after he got rid of that, (I do not know the reason as I was little, LOL,)  he did not have a car for many years. Not until my Mom finally bought one when I was about sixteen. Dad drove truck for the A & P (Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company) as long as I could remember. So I do not know why no car. He walked miles to work. Probably could not afford one as we were kind of poor, I guess. How would I  Know?  Every one was in the same boat. Born in 1932, that tells why.

I had a special way to walk when one of my shoes had a loose sole. Right foot forward, left foot raised high to the back to bring up the flap and quickly slapped to the ground  toe first to try to make it before the flap fell backward!!!!  If I had been smarter then, I would have made it a new dance step and had all the kids doing the same walk! LOL. That is a riot, because my grandfather, among other great things fabricated made to measure shoes for Yale Professors! I guess my Dad didn't want to ask his Dad or tell him we needed our shoes mended. I never thought of that until this minute. Gramp was a raconteur, owned a German Beer Garden in New Haven, and served fresh made oxtail soup and free sandwiches to his customers.

My Dad said they always had what they needed. Even the first Victrola in the neighborhood. Which I also remember because we had it in our house and I loved winding it up with the handle and listening to the music. I do not remember the year of that Ford. I have seen them at the Antique car shows they have here every Thanksgiving.  Just looking back and causing smiles to cross my face. Thanks for being here.  martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (06-12-2006 11:39 AM).]

© Copyright 2006 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-06-13 11:15 PM

I can look back with you in several ways, MartyJo...

my mother's father was a very scientific gentleman; and loved to do things that were far and beyond the neighbor's comprehension, like having stereo in the house before it was commonplace;

being a man of the universe before it was timely to do so;

like putting together, from bits and pieces, a record-player for his granddaughter;

bringing together history in photographs before it was common...

oh yes, we share many things...
thank you for this...

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2006-06-14 03:00 AM

Sunshine, Thanks for peeking in. I love looking back. We learn to appreciate all that they were. Enjoyed your  addition martyjo
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2006-06-14 11:02 AM

Oh the memories. And how kind of you to share them. Strange isn't it how we accept them for so long without analyzing them. Fun to watch you reflect. Thanks again.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2006-06-14 04:47 PM

Good to see you back son. Hope you are not over loaded at work. Thanks for the read. I love to look back. Signs of aging? LOL mom
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » looking back

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary