navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Adverse Effects of Autumn
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Adverse Effects of Autumn Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Katerie
since 2006-01-27
Posts 92
Central New York

0 posted 2006-01-28 10:38 AM

The air was crisp- not yet cold, but cool enough to force you to wear at least a long sleeved shirt, if not a warmer outer layer.  As I glanced around at my surroundings, I could not bring myself to study just one thing.  Autumn had come on so quickly, and even though the leaves had taken a long time to morph into the legendary scheme of brown, yellow and red that they were, they did not heasitate to drop gracefully from their host branches when a sharp gust of wind introduced itself to the rest of its counterparts, as if they had known their time of descent since spring.  The smell was familiar, though indescribable, and told me it was time for Halloween.  This was true- there were hay bails placed centrally near both adjoining schools along with stalks of corn, which surprisingly, still had all parts intact.  There were pumpkins being carved, though weeks prematurely- there were two that already seemed to be rotting, or perhaps melting, the stem becoming the wick of a rather brightly colored candle.  They bore the pictures of stars, or instead, very small children who were too young to handle a knife, allowing their parents to carve them, bringing out a part of themselves triggered only by the memories of their own pumpkins, and their own innumerable Halloweens past.  The weight of my backpack, though somewhat painful and a little heavier than average,  went unnoticed for quite sometime.   I watched the world pass me by- the silver clouds, the trees, tall and majestic, and the wind, personified and alive, and the passersby- until I reached the main street, where a teacher honked their horn, waved in a friendly manner, and sped off once more, with a look on their face that was much like mine.  Human nature, at that moment, seemed to be to embrace your surrondings, no matter what was going on otherwise in you life, for the good in nature outweighed the material bad.  For one to go completely absent of all thought for even a moment is an amazing feeling, granted the mind is almost guaranteed to race for at least sixty percent of the day.  Though small things can disturb this state of mind, such as a gesture of recognition, it serves as a reminder that no matter the situation, there is always escape, and no matter the method, it's very likely that someone around you is doing the same- embracing Autumn, exploring the unknown, remembering the lost, and smiling, knowing that you've made it though another day.

Like a ship blown from it's mooringby a wind off the sea- I have been changed for good.

© Copyright 2006 Kate Sands - All Rights Reserved
Goldenrose
Member Elite
since 2003-05-30
Posts 3665

1 posted 2006-02-15 11:38 AM

Lovely illuminating piece here katy, so vivid with life and a fabric embroidered by your very competant hands..thank you..

Goldenrose.

Desire for nothing except desirelessness,hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes, want nothing and you will have everything.avatar Meher Baba.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Adverse Effects of Autumn

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary