navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Two Important Things
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Two Important Things Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2005-09-05 03:09 AM

This past year hasn't been my best. My life isn't particularly bad, but to me, at times, it was unbearable. For me, however, there are two redeeming factors, one of which had to be taken away before I appreciated it.

I was driving home from a long day as a customer service rep (Starting to see why my year was so bad?!)  in my 2001 Volkswagen Beetle. I was distracted a bit, as usual, and the next thing I know, the car ahead of me has slammed on his b reaks suddenly. I do the same, but the next thing I know, I am hit from behind. My head and body bounce around a bit, due to my disbelief in seat belts (basically, the more I'm told to do something, the less inclined I am to do so!), and it settles down. My car is taken away to be repaired.

My car has always been a center of joy in my life. Some will think this is shallow, to let a car have such a role, but it has for me. If something makes a person a bit more happy, what's wrong with that? My bright green beetle turns heads everywhere I go. Children are the best.

"Mommy, look at the car!"
"Green punch buggie!"
"It looks like a lime!"

I think it looks like a lime too. Sure, the service is crummy (It took almost 2 months to get it back!), but I wouldn't trade my car for anything. It has been through everything I've been through. It took me to the prom, to graduation, to my first day of university, and on that dark day, to the hospital to get my stomach pumped. I can't say that about any of the people in my life.

Now that my car is back, my life is a bit brighter. I drove to the laundrmat today, and although I loathe the chore, I was happy to be out in my car. As I sat through the rinse cycle, I watched the traffic go by, and, yes, look at my freshly painted and repaired car. A mother and child walk by, and the little girl can't help but press a finger to my door. The mother looks a me a bit anxously, but I only smile.

The other redeeming factor in my life is my new best friend. My sister was with me when I stopped at the pet store.

"Mom will be so mad if you get a pet!"

But that didn't stop me. I looked at the Guinea pigs first, since they were on sale. They were cute, but so big! Where would I put that thing? I turned next to the dwarf hamsters. Watching the little furballs roll around on each other was enough.

"Which one do you want?" the saleslady asked.

I looked carefully. I wanted one that was frisky, because if they aren't, they are probably sick. One little guy stood on his hind legs and reached towards the hand. He won my heart, and I took him home. His name is Napoleon.

No matter what my boyfriend says about animals only loving what feeds them, I know my hamster has some affection for me. Napoleon listens to all of my feelings, my sadness, my fear, my frustration, with only a loving look as a reply. I know he understands. He likes to crawl on my torso, up and down, from my chest to my belly. He stops occasionally around my face to give me a little nuzzle with his nose. Right now, I am sitting in the dark, with no tv, because only then will he come out to play on his wheel. Maybe I'm crazy for catering to a hamster this way, but it's a small price to pay for such a friend.

6.99 was a steal.

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

© Copyright 2005 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
1 posted 2005-09-06 09:13 AM

LoveBug, I enjoyed getting to know you better through you this open sharing of yourself. ~ and to know you better is to like you even better!

You've been through some tough times but I am happy that you have a new little friend who loves you and you have your "Green Punch Buggy" back in working order ~ and looking like a mighty fine lime!  Lime  

Sending you a big warm hug!
Linda
P.S. Pllleeeeeaaaaasssssse wear your seatbelt! As a nurse I have seen horrible reprecussions for those who have not worn them. From having their faces sliced off to losing their lives. Sorry to add this gruesome bit but I feel a need to share this!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2005-09-06 07:38 PM

Erica,
I know what you mean. I've had two wrecks this year on my motorcycle. No fun at all for all the reasons you list and more.

I have a hunch your hamster is a boy. Of course he likes climbing up and down your torso, silly girl! Here's to better times, but please remember - we love you.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2005-09-07 07:09 PM

Sure enjoyed this... I remember my used'64 mustang; I hated it went it became too friendly with a telephone pole...  It was like losing a gentle friend.  

Glad you found your furry friend.  $6.99, a bargain!  

miscellanea

DennisTheMenace
since 2005-09-04
Posts 240

4 posted 2005-09-08 06:27 PM

Luv the story, wish I had a ride, even a lime.
Cars (machines) and pets are much the same
Accepting and not demanding, just a little care and love
And they’ll treat you right.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2005-09-09 06:54 PM

Thanks for your replies, all. Bad news though. My little hamster is a diabetic. He needs special care and still may not live long. He does have a chance to live a normal life, so lets keep hoping and praying!

Music pours over the sense
And in a funny way
Music sees more than I..it remembers better...
I have forgotten all the rest-Anne Sexton

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Two Important Things

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary