navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Erudition Of My Soul: Sacrifice of Giving
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Erudition Of My Soul: Sacrifice of Giving Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA

0 posted 2005-04-20 05:27 PM

It was quite dark as the couple rushed to the hospital in the middle of a cold December night.  Sharon’s husband John was frantically trying to stay on the road and comfort his wife’s pains as he drove.  It had happened all of a sudden and two weeks before Dr. Hanson said she was due.  The surprise of Sharon’s water breaking two weeks early was causing all kinds of concern between the two.  

John pulled into the emergency entrance, he ran inside to try and get some help for his wife.  The emergency crew on duty wheeled Sharon inside on a hospital wheel chair.  Leaving the couple in one of the hospital pregnancy rooms, Sharon’s pain had grown considerably.  In between her labored breathing and shooting abdominal pains she thought back to her first pregnancy.  This caused her to worry even more about her current situation.  The pain that overwhelmed her body was nothing like the first time; this was a pain much greater.  

About two minutes passed before the doctor rushed into see about Sharon.  When he turned the corner and saw the position Sharon was laying in he got a grim look across his face.  To many times he had read the reports and seen these situations throughout his career.  He automatically returned to a more positive state so that he would not worry his patient.

The nurse had already started the mandatory I-V, and prepped her for the doctor.  He started asking her the necessary questions, and performing standard procedure test.  Sharon was still worried and asked non-stop questions as the doctor worked on her situation.  John stood quietly beside his wife trying to comfort her and analyze the situation.  He had always been able to act strong outwardly while he crumbled inside.  
After about thirty minutes of testing the doctor left the room and took some paper work with him.  He had left the couple with little hope or direction.  Adding to their concerns the couple was on the verge of breaking down.  Both were silent as their minds raced at speeds of light, contemplating all of the possible outcomes of the pregnancy.  John really had no idea what was going on he just thought it was a premature pregnancy.  At the most he thought the baby might need to spend a little more time at the hospital after his baby’s birth.  Sharon on the other hand had a more dreadful intuition about her baby’s situation.  Even though it could be a premature pregnancy she had a bad feeling about the pain in her belly.  

The silence broke when John said; “I wonder what is taking them so long to start the procedure.”  Sharon was about to comment when the doctor returned with two other nurses.  “So are you going to start the delivery,” John said.  The doctor paused for a second and thought about what he was going to say.  “Well,” he said with concern, “we have some decisions to make before I can start the delivery.”  Still much in pain Sharon had had enough, “What decisions!!!”  “Well, there are some complications that…” lowering his eyes to the ground, “we are going to have to take in to consideration.”  John also had grown tired of seeing his wife in pain and asked, “What, what complications?”  The doctor could see that the couple wanted answers and decided to just be straightforward with them.  “I can’t deliver the baby and guarantee that Sharon will live through the delivery.”  

I guess your wondering how this story has anything to do with how I feel about your giving.  I will sum it up in the following.  In the story the mother was faced with a life changing decision, in one hand she had her life and in the other she had the life of her child.  Even though you have never given your life for me, so many times you have given me the opportunity to live my life.  Through spiritual, emotional and financial support you have shown me what giving is all about.  You deserve a million “thank you,” and if time allows it I hope that in some way I can pay you back.  Someone once told me that actions are worth a thousand words; if you ever need anything please ask me.

The last paragraph was part of a letter to someone that had helped me.  The story is not true, but my attempt at showing appreciation in tragedy.

© Copyright 2005 Joshua Gordon - All Rights Reserved
Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

1 posted 2005-04-22 06:19 PM

Josh,

I easily see where you title would fit in when the decisions were made.  This is a very gripping prose!
  I'm glad I popped in.  Great job!

sadie

JoshG
since 2004-11-16
Posts 127
TX, USA
2 posted 2005-04-28 03:16 PM

Sadie, thanks for the read and the words!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Erudition Of My Soul: Sacrifice of Giving

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary