navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » No One Is Responsible
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic No One Is Responsible Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2005-01-24 08:57 PM

No One Is Responsible

I'm responding to a newspaper headline offered by the Honolulu Advertiser of January 16, 2005.  The article says "Bush Says Voters Gave Him Mandate On Iraq."  In my case I voted for President Bush because I felt like Mr. Kerry was offering promises he couldn't keep.  Please keep in mind that President Bush won by a narrow margin.  I voted for him not because I was so pleased with his performance, instead I was displeased with the alternative, Mr. John Kerry.  I don't feel like my vote for him gives him a mandate to continue any course of action that is not the right course of action.  For example, in Afganistan, bin Laden should have been military target number one.  The military leaders that bungled that assignment should be dismissed, they are a danger to the security of our county.  In World War II, action such as this would be easier to understand, but with today's technology, the failure to get bin Laden is inexcusable, and a weak link has been identified that needs to be fixed, and will never be fixed if the President has the attitude that no one is responsible.  Also, I feel like the war in Iraq was done at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons.  We should have focused on Afganistan, and history has proved that conclusion to be right.  So I don't feel like voting for President Bush gives him a mandate to continue making, in my opinion, unwise decisions.  If we go back in History, just like World War II, there were some that wanted involvement and some that didn't.  However, since we are already in the middle of this, I agree that we need to follow it through to a conclusion.  Concerning the manner in which this war is being fought.  It is essential that the Iraqi's take control of thier own country, both Politically and Militarily.  An all out effort should have been taken from day one of the initial invasion to involve and prepare the Iraqi Government, Police and Military in this process.  In this respect I believe the President has failed.   There is only one way for American troops to come home, every Iraqi citizen that is trained for police sevice or military service should free up and American soldier to come home.  Perhaps a draft in Iraq is required, those not willing to serve in the military can serve in public service.  And speaking of mandates, that would be to make it top priority for the Iraqi's to assume control over the security of their country.  As I said, training of the Iraqi citizens is essential and should be give top priority.

JamesLee
18January

© Copyright 2005 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

1 posted 2005-01-29 10:48 PM

Heya.. thanks for posting this, it shows you have some really powerful views. I'm wondering, however, if you would get a more constructive response in the Alley or even in Feelings. The prose forum is more for narratives.. not that your post isn't welcome, but if you're wanting to start a political discussion, maybe another forum would be better, such as the Alley. Thanks for posting though, I enjoyed reading your point of view and I'm glad to see you being so involved!  

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2005-01-29 10:59 PM

Could go either way, and is up to the author's discretion in most cases, unless I (for the forums I handle), or other mods/dep mods/admins supercede in judgement calls.  For instance, Mistletoe Angel's journal in the Lounge could be in Prose, could be in the Alley, could be in Family Dialogue, could even be in Grok This for some of his...crushes, but it stays in the Lounge until such time as he requests a move, consistent subject matter implores a move, or Ron (da Wizzard) overrides me.  Being the Boss, he can do that with little or no warning.  Good thing I work for a mostly mentally stable Boss. *cackle*

Regardless, this is an interesting prose piece, giving a journalistic, slice-of-life, autobiographical interpretation, although Everyman could be substituted freely (not that I'm saying all would endorse or sponsor the viewpoint thus given; those who are well read would recognize Everyman as a symbol, nothing more, nothing less, but I digress).

Could be fictional, could be real, could be a viewpoint, could be a blog.  That is what is compelling, despite the message.  So many alternatives, and all are true and valid.

Alicat

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

3 posted 2005-01-29 11:01 PM

I know it could be many things, Ali, and Prose is a very justified place for it to be, but I was just worried about the sort of response he wanted. If he wanted to start more of a discussion, it would go better in the alley. I was just asking

And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2005-02-01 12:27 PM

Thank you Lovebug and Alicat for reading and responding...This is just a way of letting off steam for me...I'm saying that I like the President but I don't like his attitude of no one is responsible...a copy of this was also sent to the President and to my Congressmen...James
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2005-02-03 04:39 PM

I'm glad you sent this to our leaders. So many people just complain and do nothing, and I'm glad you took your views to the 'higher powers'. Even though I disagree , I'm glad you're consurned and involved like this!

And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » No One Is Responsible

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary