navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Untitled and Unfinished
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled and Unfinished Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2004-12-11 11:03 PM

Just thought I'd try this out and see what you guys think of it.  Let me know how you like the writing style and the story idea....

What did you think of that stuff.
It's a hard question to answer, I guess.  I mean, I've only been studying storytelling for a short time.  I usually like to stay in easier waters, like philosophy.  But story telling?
How did you like the proof of that construct property?
We're at a party here, and he's asking me what I thought of something Bose covered in class today.  I think this guy's a little too hard-core.
Cunilis, I say, can't you just enjoy yourself for a change?
Hey man, he says, this is how I enjoy myself.  I love talking about this stuff.
But man, why don't you just relax?
He stands there for a while, eying the others.  He has to do something, so he looks over at the window over there.  Something's moving in the driveway.  The music stops for a minute.  He looks down -- a new track.
I walk off for a while, up to my room.  It's messy up here.  Books are all over the bed.  I've marked up most of them, looking into various story telling theorems.  It looks like a literary bomb went off in the past and behold, a fallout of books all about the theory of working with story telling worlds and how to create metaphorical and allegorical constructs from other constructs.  I check back on my computer.  She hasn't emailed me yet.
Back down the stairs again and I see Cunilus talking now to a buddy of his.  They're chilling.
Dude, have you got that writing done? I ask Cunilis.
Working on it.  I have to make sure I get a K5 transitivity property for my subconstructs.  Should be a sweet story after that.
That's crazy.  I've never seen anyone at an undergrad level build a K5 story.  That means that there's five major sub-plots in his story and all of them have to relate to each other.  If you mapped it out, with each subplot a point, you'd get a pentagram with a wheel around it.  
Yeah, I say, I bet.  Now let's go and get a drink.
Dude, he says, I can't drink.  It'll slow up my processing.
I laugh.  He's so funny sometimes.  Man, you gotta stop thinking like a computer.
I give him a glass of wine.  It's on me.  

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

© Copyright 2004 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2004-12-12 05:20 PM

Food for thought! I liked the contrast you've given your characters in such a short amount of time.  I enjoyed seeing other's perspectives on storytelling.  My main experience comes from listening to stories my father told us as kids, nothing formal.

I write without the knowledge of the terms, but upon occasion I've tried to weave several story lines together. One of my better proses here is Journey Beyond a Wedding.  It's rather different, I think.  You might enjoy it. (I have a few things I'd like to revise/clarify, but will wait a little longer.)     /pip/Forum15/HTML/002171.html

Thank you for posting.  It is good to read your work.

miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-12-16 07:53 PM

fractal007,
Well that was interesting. Definitely outside of my world. What's with no title? All that creativity and we get no title?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Untitled and Unfinished

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary