navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments for Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #3:Words don't always mean what they say
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments for Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #3:Words don't always mean what they say Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....

0 posted 2004-12-07 03:36 PM

Words don’t always mean what they say

Our language is founded on ambiguity. Take, for example, these two words: “I love”.
They can be applied to ice-cream or a spouse. Do we really love our spouses in the same way that we love ice-cream?
They can be applied to friend or lover. There must be a difference there surely?
Here we have a wide range of feelings that all have one designated word to intimate their meaning. This contrasts greatly with the Eskimos, who are said to have a hundred different words for something as seemingly simple as “snow”.
Is meaning lost by the widespread application of a word? The word “nice” comes to mind. Most teachers loathe it and see it as representative of poor vocabulary, making it their mission to drum it out of the essay books, in favour of more descriptive adjectives.

“I love ice-cream!”
“I love you”

The same verb, two different objects. Two very different meanings. The former is hyperbolic and is a means of expressing enthusiasm. The second is an expression of affection, and one would hope it isn’t hyperbolic, but rather an understatement of the true feelings that lie beneath.
Perhaps it is not the word itself that is wholly responsible for creating meaning. Meaning can be created by body language, actions and facial expressions.
Maybe we don’t need a hundred words to express our meaning because the words combine with action and expression to create the meaning we need.
Besides, if we had words to express everything 100% accurately:
What would happen to the age-old excuse, “but I didn’t mean it!”

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

© Copyright 2004 ESP - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2004-12-07 03:43 PM

Lizzie,
Huge smile here! A clever ending. I like your style and think these essays are fabulous. In fact, I love them! Besides you are a nice lady.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
2 posted 2004-12-07 04:07 PM

Thanks Larry! I am really enjoying these assignments. They make me think! Your daughter has inspired me. Thank you again for sharing her with us. All together we can carry the flame for her.
Hugz,
Lizzie.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-12-09 02:33 PM

I really enjoyed this, all the time thinking, "Whoops!"  How inadequately I express things, especially when in a hurry!  Perhaps, that why I like to write--it slows me down enough to play with word choice a bit more.   Enjoyed.  

I'm glad to see you are responding to "Assignments for Ginger Michelle Chadwick".   I had thought I would someday, too, but haven't gotten my round tuit yet.

I'm so glad Larry posted them!

miscellanea

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2005-01-25 06:22 PM

Interesting...when we first meet someone and we enjoy spending time with them I would not consider it a stretch of the word to say "I loved spending time with you."  That does not mean I loved them, but it is the extreem compliment...James
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2005-01-29 10:56 PM

Very clever and interesting! It is true, without the deeper meaning that is understood between the speaker and the audience, words that seem so simple can become very confusing. Thats sort of the beauty and pitfall of the language... that there's so much mystery within it.. that each word can be interpeted in so many ways... look at how many religions and denominations can result from one Book. It can be good and bad, and your piece is a very interesting discussion on this!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments for Ms Ginger Michelle Chadwick #3:Words don't always mean what they say

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary