navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » So I'm Old...Big Deal!
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic So I'm Old...Big Deal! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-12-03 10:22 PM

So I'm Old...Big Deal!
By Larry Chadwick

Did you ever think about how quickly the learning process happened when you were taking Arithmetic? Seemed you had hardly started learning math and they were imposing the times tables on you. Next thing you know they expect you to do division and even fractions. But before calculators they expected you to do addition in your head. And for those that can recall, time was of the essence.

I turn fifty-five tomorrow and it caused me to wonder exactly how that happened. I know math. And I can add a long list of numbers pretty rapidly. But when I was not looking this big number caught me wishing I had a calculator. Now I am not complaining about growing old. I have not met an age I have not liked. Yet I really was not in this big a hurry. And if I am that good at math how in the world did this just sneak up on me?

It occurred to me that I am now qualified to be neighbors to my in-laws. I like them just fine. The problem is that they live in a senior citizen community. And that is another thing, the senior group at church resented being listed as seniors. They seem to be ignoring the fact they are all in their seventies. (Seems they have a problem with age too.) So now they call themselves the “55 and up” group. I must tell you I resent that. It should come as no surprise to you that I have been throwing away AARP membership recruitment envelopes for years.

At a working lunch today with an Account Executive and a Client the subject of age came up. Odd I thought. But they wanted to know my age so I confessed. It is understandable that I really like them. After all they did feign shock that I was over 42 or 43. But that all vanished when they looked at each other and quickly agreed that I could be their dad. Well, duh, my son is four to seven years older than them.

When things get overwhelming at work there are frequent conversations about the light at the end of the tunnel. A few of us think it is just another train. Dustin Hoffman was commenting in an interview very recently about how he is viewing the end of his life because at his age it is near. Well there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. But at my age I choose to believe it is just another train. The tunnel cannot possibly be that short.

For purposes of clarification I plan to live forever. That is the benefit of salvation. The other benefit is I do not have to fear my mortality. But in the mean time I will get as many good years in, right here, as is possible. So the fact that my drivers license is scheduled to expire when I turn 65 is only a cruel irony. But that is the government for you. They do not scare me! I think I will take my big Road Star motorcycle in when I renew my license. Then we will see who is scared!

December 3, 2004

[This message has been edited by Larry C (12-04-2004 04:37 PM).]

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2004-12-03 10:43 PM

Excellent write Larry!
I am pleased to see you turning the page on another birthday
with a smile on your face and an optimistic outlook!
Oh....and have a great birthday!!  
After all..age is just a number..it's all in how you feel!

/pip/Forum3/HTML/003396.html

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-12-03 11:33 PM

Hey youngun, I'm still your big sis, and no matter how old you get, I'll be older! LOL.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2004-12-04 02:18 AM

Know what I can't get used to?  I think I will save time and run somewhere, start, come to a hault when I realize that I don't run anymore.  Mind over matter doesn't quite work as well as it used to but I don't let it get me down.     Glad to see you don't either!  Happy Birthday old boy!   
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2004-12-04 05:30 AM

It should come as no surprise to you that I have been throwing away AARP membership recruitment envelopes for years.

Me, too (and I am in that 55th year also)and don't know how I reached it so fast

Happy Birthday Larry...

M

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
5 posted 2004-12-04 07:29 AM

We have a lot in common, y'know. See, I wanted to stop aging at 10. Not because I felt old, but I had reasoned that each year things seemed to get harder and harder. Not that 10 was a good year, either, it wasn't really, but I knew 11 would be worse. I aged anyway, it happens (as you well know!). And while I can't say it ever got easier, I grew to enjoy the benefits (like the respect from the younger crowd [yeah, the 7 and 8 year olds]). I too have a driver's test to get my license coming up soon. I get recruitment letters in the mail all the time. See? Life stays the same for the most part... names change, locations change, values change... but you're still the same kid as always!

Now, all that being said.
... you're OLD!

Happy Birthday! I pray God's kindest blessings on you this year. Oh, and  stay to the side of the tunnel when the light comes through. Being hit by a train really hurts.

(Loved the story by the way.)
Always, Alyssa

He was a man of sorrows
...I am a girl of tears.

scorpio
Member Ascendant
since 2002-10-02
Posts 5178
right...there
6 posted 2004-12-04 09:02 AM

Happy Birthday Larry!!  Ride the Road Star defiantly!!

believe in what your heart feels...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-12-04 11:50 AM

Ah, the chuckles you bring me!  Finally...I found someone who is a tadpole older than I...

Because among the staff where I work?  I am not only Mom, but Grandma status times over...

You know what?  I, and yes, you, my friend, earned this RIGHT...

to do whatever we wish, [within legal terms, of course!] but if we want to ride our bike/scooter/hog...what have you...if we want to deny our age, admit our age, exalt our life, deny death [it's a possibility] or just give up and plod ahead...

that is all within our right.

Dustin's comment surprises me...I would think he would be full bore ahead on possibilities...[I always seem to keep Grandma Moses in mind...as well as the 97 year old poet in Wichita who recently was nominated for the Kansas Poet Laureate...]

I believe we should all be given our right to think as we please when it comes to the aging process...

it's going to occur until they reverse time...

but mentally?  I'm going to live forever, too...

even if it is in someone's memories!

Happy Birthday, young man!  And Many, Many more for eons to come!

A Tone of Voice
since 2001-07-18
Posts 287

8 posted 2004-12-18 12:32 PM

What is it they say about age, if you don't mind it doesn't matter. Somedays I don't mind-- then other days it matters. *grin*

I hear ya, it has sped by, that is a fact! I enjoyed the write, very much!

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
9 posted 2004-12-18 05:01 PM

Enjoyed your write, Larry!  I'm so old the only memory I have of trains and tunnels is W. Piper's little engine saying,  "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!"  Now, with our supersonic technology, I believe you speak more to the tone of "Varoom, chug-chug, varoom chug-chug, I'm great I am, I'm great I am, better at 55!  I'm great I am...a poetic chuggin' man!"

Happy belated birthday, Larry!

cathy

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2004-12-20 07:00 PM

WELL...first of all I'm embarrassed to discover I have ignored all these lovely greetings. Sorry! (I gotta get back online at home!)

Nancy Lee,
Thank you so much for finding this write. It was a ton of fun to create. AND a debt of gratitude for the greeting in the announcement forum. You are the best.

Kacy,
And it's all okay by me. Though you gotta know I have no experience at being younger! LOL And bless you for your friendship SIS.

Sharon,
Hahaha! I love you dear lady. Always have liked your spunk. Don't mind if I follow your lead, right? And thank you.

M,
Sweet woman, go figure. But you know what, it beats the alternatives. Besides you still look good. And thank you.

Alyssa,
You are so good for me! I just love you. Always you make me feel good. AND on top of all that you crack me up. Thanks for being such a special girl. You-are-the-best.
:hugs;

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2004-12-20 07:06 PM

scorpio,
LOL I was never that good at open defiance. So I just show a little "attitude"! Thanks for the read.

Ah Karilea,
I've always liked your style. And I like how you think as well! Makes me proud to be a "baby boomer"! You give me hope...

AToV,
LOL Yup it has sped by in a hurry. And thank you so much for the read. Peace.

Cathy, dear friend,
I have a few more speed limits left to match with age, fortunately. And that train...it was my favorite story. You put a BIG smile on my old face. Thanks dear lady. Thanks a lot.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

wllz.on.ice
since 2004-09-07
Posts 35
the united kingdom.
12 posted 2005-01-18 06:17 PM

Im back meights, Larry, you're not old enough to writing such things! (teehee)
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

13 posted 2005-01-22 02:16 PM

My dad gave me the advice that I am who I am and age is just a number - but its so easy to think about that number!  ... Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday!
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
14 posted 2005-01-28 06:56 PM

Enjoyed...James
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

15 posted 2005-01-29 11:04 PM

You have such a great attitude, Larry. I loved reading this! You have many many many years left, and I'm glad you see them as rich and full for yourself and those around you! You aren't even close to being old in my book!

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
16 posted 2005-02-01 07:01 PM

wllz.on.ice,
Am too! And whatchyou laughin' about? Alright wiseguy. It is fun to have you back. Not sure what sparked the absence but glad it's over. Don't you owe us a post?

Thank you Copperbell,
You are the best. And your dad is right. And thanks for the B'day greeting too.

James,
You'll enjoy it more in about 20 years! And thank you sir.

Erica,
Have I told you that I really like "your book"? And it's fun to have friends with such a positive attitude. Thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » So I'm Old...Big Deal!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary