navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Woman Abducted By Aliens
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Woman Abducted By Aliens Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
EvocativeVerse2
since 2003-09-10
Posts 1279

0 posted 2004-10-10 01:13 AM

Woman Abducted by Aliens

I seen it first in the Chicago News but disregarded the narrative as being naught but a falsification. Later it surfaced in the New York Times and that gave me some pause for thought. Nonetheless after some deliberation I still found I was incapable of accepting the printed word and passed it off as generalized delirium. Yet low and behold once again it arose this time in nothing less then The National Enquirer. No longer could I elude the uneasiness that had been instilled in my heart. If the Enquirer printed it...it just had to be truth.

What was it mine eyes did not wish to accept? Conceivably an occurrence of such unparalleled proportion it would live on in the hearts and minds of men long after the ages had milled their remains to dust. There in 36 point Times New Roman the captioned read, "Woman Abducted by Aliens."

Have you ever had your heart skim over a beat, startled by the resonance of a gunshot in the night? That was what it was like for me. There was a twinkling when the darkness yawned open to swallow me whole, a flash when I balanced precariously on the lip of the chasm, before I arrested my trembling heart. Tears came unbidden to mine eyes. For she whom I cherished, I wept, for cognition had been made whole by means of a banner.

Mortality is capricious. Having received no word from my dearest in a week I had presupposed her muteness to be of my doing. Assuredly I had said something wrong, slighted her with some misspoken word. Never had the argument of alien abduction entered the equation. Yet it made perfect sense. I wasn’t culpable, Martians were!

Animosity arose to the forefront of my emotions. I wished nothing more than to be Luke Skywalker. To the cosmos themselves I would carry the battle. Against an immeasurable horde of green-eyed miscreants I would convey the fight 'til once again I held my sweetheart in mine arms. That's when reality slapped me solidly in the face. I was but mortal and human inventiveness had scarcely licked the basics of flight. How was I to bear this struggle to an adversary who laughed at mankind's incompetence to attain mastery of space/time?

The unmistakable truth was I could not, and so it is I catch myself lying here upon this lush hillock years later, staring at the Heavens through the eye of a telescope, reminiscing over a love pilfered. Continuance has not scrubbed clean the sadness I yet feel, and understanding has never ceased to cross-examine the might-have-been. What might-have-been had I saved her that night? What might-have-been had we professed our love?

Oh sure, there are those of noble birth who will not dispute the Almighty's plan. Many accept naively the path given them. But I am not wedded to such dogma. If inevitability is immutable what lesson was it that I was suppose to garner from this experience, for all I have disentombed is how to abhor the creator. When I pass away I will stand in sight of him and charge that my questions be answered, and if the replies are not pleasant to mine ears I will spew in his face thus forswearing the promised world-without-end.

Two star crossed lovers came together one evening and in but a few hours delighted in a lifetime of happiness. My soul bleeds for the divestiture of my beloved but here ends my account, there is no more to tell. They did not ride off together into a Hollywood sunset. Nor were they bequeathed the constant, "Happily ever after." Alas environmental factors unimaginable wrenched them apart, and all that was left them was a tabloid header that read, "Woman Abducted by Aliens."

To those of you whom I leave these poor words take their teaching to heart and arise from your seat. Seek out your lover and make known to them all that you'd say, for there are no assurances in this world of, "Might-have-been's." We each, in his own way, need to carry the torch, not only for ourselves, but also for those whom we love. For if you too find your reality advertised on the cover of the National Enquirer let it not be said you loved too little. Nay let the severity of the printed word communicate a calenture so pure, Romeo and Juliet will seem burlesque.

Now into the unobtrusive still of the night let my reflection disperse. It is to the universe that I would turn, to the second star on the right and straight on 'til morning. There beneath Orion the Hunters mighty bow, let my gaze go forth. I can feel consciousness awaking, into the murkiness of the void let me vault. They say the nothingness of the cosmos is frigid but I assert that is not so, for here amidst the celestial bodies waits she whom I will always love.

The National Enquirer

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Writer Abducted by Aliens*

Remember, if you're not part of the future, you're history!

© Copyright 2004 Kevin R. Middleton - All Rights Reserved
froggy
since 2003-06-23
Posts 1893
Michigan
1 posted 2004-10-10 11:09 AM

My Dearest Kevin,

Thank-you for the smile. Love how this came out.

Its great and I love it yes I love it.

;-)

Amour Vous always

Within this heart you'll find love

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
2 posted 2004-10-12 12:08 PM

Quite enjoyed this read, Kevin!   ...jo
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2004-10-12 12:24 PM

Well, maybe they were just aliens from another country? LOL.
Enjoyed this one, and hope the abduction is pleasurable.

Snow
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-10-16
Posts 1170
desert flower looking for rain
4 posted 2004-10-12 09:25 AM

maybe i'm biased but the original i have printed out will always be my favorite version of this :-) hugs... me
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
5 posted 2004-10-23 12:29 PM

OMG, EV2, when you were abducted, did they implant those feelings within me?   I can't believe how well you voiced what has been hiding within me.  I'm so glad you responded to my post because I hadn't been watching the Title page much.  I would have missed this much valued poignant write.  I don't agree with everything, but I certainly know where you are coming from!  Written with incredible perception and skill...

miscellanea

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
6 posted 2004-10-27 05:39 PM

I love the mix of the olde language and the modern day topics, it gives it an surreal effect. And the moral to the tale is brilliant. Excellent portrait.

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2005-02-09 12:03 PM

Nice...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Woman Abducted By Aliens

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary