navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Thought You Should Know
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Thought You Should Know Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-09-08 02:26 AM

I Thought You Should Know
By Larry Chadwick
I couldn't wait for October 2 to say it

I swear it was yesterday that your age was counted in days and I was so young I thought I was grown up. It was then that I finally found what perfection was. Pictures still prove that I was right. But I changed perfections diapers everyday. And at night you proved how connected we would always be. You laid your cheek next to my heart and slept for six hours without moving. Night after night you soaked up my heart. It was on the nights you could not sleep that we climbed into our new car and cruised. If we came home too early it woke you and off we would go until you were asleep for the night.

Your mother filled out the birth certificate. It was a surprise to me and I longed to know your name. Now I have come to understand that you were destined to be a junior. I am not sure when you made peace with that but it multiplied my pride. I doted on your every move. It was a joy to sing and laugh with you and it was a true heart ache to cry with you when you hurt.

And now it is tomorrow when your age adds up in years and mine adds up in decades. I am old enough to know I have so much to learn and you know as much as your dad, you think. Your gorgeous looks and photogenic ways still have not changed. I dote on everything you do. And now all your cars offer memories to many evenings when a ride would calm you. They still do. It is still a joy to sing and laugh with you and even now it is a true heart ache to cry with you when you hurt.

Only now distance deprives me. Reality interferes with my needs to see you often. But nothing can alter what has always been. My undying love for you.

September 7, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.
© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2004-09-08 06:52 AM

"I swear it was yesterday that your age was counted in days and I was so young I thought I was grown up."

~*~

Even my grandkids are doing this to me...

I loved that opening line...
it's a

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-09-08 05:28 PM

Larry,
  Is this about Elizabeth or another daughter?  In either case, it is touching.

cathy

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2004-09-08 05:46 PM

Karilea,
I like that! Thanks that was fun to find that response. And then we go through it all over again with another generation.

Cathy,
No it isn't about Ginger. But I thought the reference to junior was sufficient(I've been wrong before). It is for Larry Jr. who will be 34 on October 2. And thanks for asking.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

wllz.on.ice
since 2004-09-07
Posts 35
the united kingdom.
4 posted 2004-09-08 06:11 PM

I am only 17. Who am I to comment on this experience? I may be young, but i often think to myself, in 15 years time, those children im watching crawl the red carpets are to be the children that I teach the ways of the world. I'm not sure about anyone else, but this made me think of the future.

nice larry.
thanks.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2004-09-08 08:21 PM

wllz.on.ice,
Yeah, but few twice your age put that much effort into forward thinking. Seems that makes you exceptional! Thank you for taking the time to read my little indulgence about my son.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2004-09-10 12:57 PM

I'm hugging every word of this.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2004-09-10 01:04 AM

Larry, I can't help but smile wide here, knowing what you accomplished with this poem.  Read that young person's comment if ever you doubt that you should ever not standing up as an example of what a real father is, so keep writing it for all the read.  Luv ya!
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-09-10 01:27 AM

Hey you two, encouragement does come delivered better than from the likes of you!

Kacy,
I'm assuming that I get in on that hug too. And thank you for showing up here it means a lot to me.

Sharon,
Well now, I'm not sure where to start. But knowing what a loving mom you are and the integrity of your character...well. It just should no go without saying how very much that adds to what this means to me. Thank you.
&

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
9 posted 2004-09-11 09:19 AM

Larry,
when I look at my children now all grown up, I get the same sense of awe and wonder I got when they were first born. And now that I can add a happy healthy grandchild to the list, my gratitute is unending. You have such a delightful relationship with your children, a relationship that reflects love in every word. Happy birthday to Larry Junior. Happy memories to you.
Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2004-09-12 12:32 PM

Kethry,
Life is full of rich rewars. But some you have to wait for a long time. I like the "if I had known grandchildren were so much fun I'd would've had them first." Thank you dear lady.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Thought You Should Know

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary