navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » More from Michaelson: Hase 2, 4257
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic More from Michaelson: Hase 2, 4257 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2004-08-02 09:07 PM

NOTE:  The above title gives the date of the entry.  Hase(pronounced Hawsee) is the name of the fourth "month" of the calendar of my world.  Second day.  The year is 4257 years after the invention of the wheel.  

Also, an important thing to keep in mind when reading names that come from the area in whihc Michaelson lives is that any e's are pronounced as is.  That is, Fanes is pronounced "Fanees."  Indeed, anything Attrendian has this feature.  

Finally, Palto is the language spoken by the majority of the population of my world.  It is the equivilant of our English in that it is very widespread and international.

Today was my first day back at school after my final two-week installment.  That sounds a little too formal for a diary, I guess.  I am working toward a general arts and sciences education.  That's all they'll let me do.  I don't have the points a scholar would need.  But they don't know who or what I really am.

Every day I sit inside that stupid room listening to Fanes drone on about proper Palto grammar.  It's a very important set of rules that you must know by rote.  I don't think she knows what she's talking about.  Palto isn't a language with strict grammar.  It's a string of pearls, a glob of regional dialects and preferences about what gets pronounced when and how.  It's the bridge between the old phonetic languages and the even older logographic ones.  You take the phonetic symbols and throw them together to make syllables.  You string the syllables together to make words.  You take the words and dress them in context.  It's pictures made of ancient sounds.  Ancient forgotten sounds were the beginning of psychology.

My psychology class is even more offensive.  We start off studying what the Ancient Attrendians believed.  Deso.  Desire, the one thing that drives all we experience and makes up even the deepest reaches of irso, the self.  But the whole thing is spelled using the Palto.  

My mother says I am a bit too esoteric in my thinking.  She says I act as though I were some sort of professor.  With a head like that why aren't you doing better in school?  

She doesn't know the smallest fraction of what I have accumulated over my short time on this planet.  No, I'm not an alien.  I wish I were, because then I'd have an excuse for being so different.  I'm fifteen years old now and I've been hidden through them all.  There's only one person I trust with my secrets.

About five years ago I was walking home.  I can't remember what I was doing or why, only that I was returning.  A bunch of teenagers ran toward me.

Chrissy!  Chris!  What did I say would happen to you if you came this way again?

I shuddered and turned to run.  A man stopped me and told me to hold still.  Don't move, kid.  

The icy blue eyes seemed to project a fear into the minds of those guys.  They turned and ran after he stared for a few moments.  He looked toward me and locked me into the same glare.  The eyes trapped me in their cold gaze.  What's your name?  Where are you going?  Where were you?  Who are you?  Do you know who I am?

My eyes brimmed with tears and my mouth shook as the ancient word floated to the surface.  Cuteto.  

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

© Copyright 2004 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

1 posted 2004-08-03 09:57 AM

hmmm, leaves me hanging, now I want to know what the ancient word means...along with a few other things go on storyteller
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2004-08-03 08:20 PM

I'm all ears, too.  More? More?  Enjoyed this, but hanging here.  More, please!
              miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » More from Michaelson: Hase 2, 4257

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary