navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Merbereg
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Merbereg Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

0 posted 2004-08-02 01:15 PM

I stood in the hot sand, my hand raised, shading my already sunglass covered eyes from the blinding light of the afternoon sky.  Thank God I have heavy boots; I would have never made it this far without them.

I survey my surroundings.  Sand and sky.  Skittering insects under my feet. It is desolation here.  I sigh, but what did I expect in the desert?  My eyes long for the lush green of home’s forests.  For the swaying emerald fields dotted with lavender and fuchsia wildflowers.  The shining faces of buttercups smiling, dancing in August breezes. For the grinding sounds of tractors shaving hay fields and the glistening backs of dad’s cattle munching, forever munching.

Suddenly a fierce wind surrounds me.  The sand whips my face in an angry slap.  The ground beneath my feet begins to quake, the sand swirling as though I were in a whirlwind.  And it begins to suck me down.  Terror fills my heart, my hands flail and scratch, desperately trying to dig my way up and out of the pit that is swallowing me.  But I do not have the strength.  Darkness envelopes me and my consciousness is lost as I run out of oxygen.

But it is short lived.  

Pain explodes in my head as my body crashes into a stone floor. At least I am alive, landing on my backpack cushioned the fall.  I struggle to open my eyes.  Nothing will focus yet.  All I know is that I am surrounded by orange-pink rock.  There is light and a slight breeze, signifying an escape.  I am relieved and work to force my eyes to see.  Slowly my vision clears and my heart leaps at what I see.

I am in a great room.  In the halls of the ancient.  My brain is burning in pain from the fall, but I know enough to know I have found something incredible.  

I stand up in the centre of a huge room, the ceiling at least twenty feet high.  The walls are stone, and carved into arches with several doorways. The light is coming in through the doorway, but I can’t understand how there could possibly be light here, so far under the desert sands.

There is a huge colorful mosaic to my left; it is a man and woman. They appear to be dressed in some ancient finery and around their feet are flowers, pieced together out of tiny purple tiles. There are six smooth pillars situated in a circle in the centre of the room.  They appear to be supporting the ceiling and carved at the tops in some geometric design.  The floor is reddish brown stone, with rectangular designs carved into it and tiny flowers adorning each; the entire pattern beginning and circulating around the giant pillars.

My longing for home has disappeared.  Months of searching the desert for the legendary city of Merbereg had taken its toll in my heart – but the disillusionment and loss had disappeared in this one painful and extraordinary instant.

My limbs quaver as adrenalin shoots through my veins.  Which door should I choose?  My heart races in excitement, the pain of my head numbed in my zeal.  I enter one of the adorned doorways, knowing, overwhelmed by knowing that countless years of history surround me.  There is a stair here and I climb it; each step is made of a slab of stone.  Many are bent in half, as though a great weight was put upon them.  The stair is steep and at least twenty feet high. Panting, I reach the top and enter a long hallway.  I dig in my backpack for my water canteen.  Sitting for a moment I take a swig and pull out a notebook that I can take note of the things I have seen.

My ears detect a faint sound.  It is rhythmic.  Listening hard, I try to discern what I am hearing.  I think it is water.  Moving water.  I shake my head in amazement, how could a place like this exist?    

And then I hear something else.  It is voices.  Grunting, angry voices. Male voices and I’m certain it is not English they speak.  I have the jitters now as adrenalin courses through my veins.  They are coming closer.

© Copyright 2004 Copperbell - All Rights Reserved
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
1 posted 2004-08-02 03:41 PM

GRRRRRRR Continue please .... I love adventure stories, and this one has an Indiana Jones kinda feel to it. Please, keep going?
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-11-06 03:44 PM

Copperbell,
Okay, so the reason you stopped writing this story would be...

Ah you have a gene I want! Creativity. You will share, right? And you will write the rest of this, right? You're killing me here, come back!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

3 posted 2004-11-06 06:13 PM

There is a Merbereg 2 in this thread - but that's as far as I got.

Thanks for your encouragement.

*Alli4000*
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2004-03-21
Posts 3188
The World of Poetry
4 posted 2004-11-07 01:26 AM

awwww....i wanna read more! Please continue!

~Alli~

*:.AIM = Alli4000.:*   My Journal
Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened...

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

5 posted 2004-11-07 10:29 AM

I'll finish it...read Merbereg 2 and I'll come up with 3 which will probably be the end.

And thank you.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2004-11-24 11:24 PM

You left me hanging on the edge!  More?

miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Merbereg

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary