navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Ragged Rope
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Ragged Rope Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

0 posted 2004-07-04 12:38 PM

My hope is a ragged rope worn thin by years of erosion.  Years of grit gusting against it; the grit that burns my eyes and numbs my lips to your kisses.  My courage has turned to anger and disillusionment and nit picking.

The rope that I once climbed with every ounce of my strength holds me dirty and disheveled; hanging off the cliff of your dream, of my dream.  I'm not swaying in the summer breezes as I have so longed, but rather I am blasted by the seas angry winds, bitter winds that tear at everything they touch.

But today, I have decided to inspect the rope.  With tired fingers and a cold, confused mind I look over it.  It is the rope that we anchored to the cliff of our dreams; it is the rope we both climb, that we have both strived so hard to hold on to.  

Faintly, I remember telling you to hold on when you were too weary to go any further.  And I recall you doing the same - even every day as I faltered and wanted to let go, as I longed for a new rope attached to a fresh dream.

I hold it in my calloused hands and look up to its anchoring point.  The sun blinds me and I fear that this frayed and dirty cord will drop me onto the rocks and I will be broken and enveloped in mist, in groggy, tired, fearful pain.

Tear wash down my cheeks and I can see you are much higher than I on the rope this day.  For many days you have been climbing higher as I have wearily clung to that which I have chosen so long ago to do.  I have not moved much in a long time, I just cling to the ragged rope, looking down at the frothy sea, wishing for a fresh rope to save me from this dream which has become so troublesome and difficult.

As my tears flow, I can see you climbing, beckoning me to come too.  Your clothes are torn and filthy and your skin is baked from the hot sun. You smile at me.  A tear touches my lips and I taste salt and suddenly the numbness of my lips is gone.  And I long, so long for the taste of your kisses again.

And I realize this rope is ragged for a reason.  It has held us long and through difficult days.  And today it tests me in its mischievious strength.  Can I finish as strongly as I started?  Can I determine even in exhaustion to continue? Can I race you up the cliff of our dream once again?  

The rope dares me in its never ending drive to give to us more that what we ever thought we could
achieve.

I grip the rope tighter and dig my foot into the rock. And when I catch you I will taste more than your kisses.

© Copyright 2004 Copperbell - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2004-07-04 09:21 PM

Copperbell,

I enjoyed reading about the trials and challenges involving the rope, especially the hints toward a happy ending.

miscellanea

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

2 posted 2004-07-07 02:33 PM

Thank you.

Its actually a true story - symbolically of course and the most amazing thing about it is that I wrote this on the morning of the fourth and by evening on the fourth we had the most amazing news regarding his job.  (our dream) I was so glad I decided to take a step of faith before we got the news.  It would have be so much easier to take that step after our news.

Guess we get to see what it looks like a little closer to the top of the cliff

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2004-08-01 10:02 AM

Just wanted to re-read this.  I was glad to see your positive response about the expedition!  Very good writing, Copperbell.

Also, thanks for reading one of the Xan adventures.  It's one of my most embarrassing and funniest adventures, other than the one I wrote about in "Going to the Park?"

I'm looking forward to reading more.  (I read your poetry too, and haven't seen much of it posted lately...)  
                  misc'e

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

4 posted 2004-08-01 01:20 PM

Thank you - I really appreciate your comments.  It's encouraging...thank you. I's working on some ideas
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

5 posted 2004-08-01 10:24 PM

Hm..  This is an interesting and almost cynical piece.  I say cynical because it exposes the realities of chasing dreams.  It is one thing to say we will achieve something.  However, the actual process of achieving it is very painful and difficult.  Thankyou for sharing.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

6 posted 2004-08-01 11:59 PM

Thank you for reading. Yes, the reality is sometimes you wonder if you're just an idiot, if its actually worth it.

Builds character, I say, sometimes more character than you ever wish you had

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Ragged Rope

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary