navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Zero to One-hundred-forty
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Zero to One-hundred-forty Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-06-29 11:08 AM

Zero to One-hundred-forty
By Larry Chadwick
For Larry Jr.

Usually when you watch a person in their childhood you can be confident of the clues observed in behavior patterns. But my boy has always defied the norms. When  he reached the appropriate age we sent him to school for his first grade year. The school sent him home suggesting it would be better if he repeated kindergarten. His maternal grandma, who lived on the opposite coast, had not met him yet. But she was confident that he was retarded. That second year in kindergarten was a feast of leisure and outdoor pleasure that my son did not squander.

First grade, a second year later, went without a hitch. Second grade was another matter. In short order his teacher, near retirement, advised us that he was the laziest boy she had ever taught. His grades were certainly poor enough to cause concern. Sparing you the battle story that followed with the private school administration, we had him tested in public school. His principal said it was a waste of time as it would only matter if he exceeded the ninety-fifth percentile in all subjects. The public school reported their results to the private school. The principal called inquiring as to when we wanted our son promoted to third grade. He had exceeded all testing expectations. It isn’t easy raising a brilliant child. Things are not always as they seem.

When he was five years old we took a large group of kids, ages ten to fifteen, camping. Near the campsite was a go-cart race track. Something that interests even a five year old. It was with anticipation that I placed him in my lap and put the pedal to the floor as we raced onto the track. Tears. He gave me tears. Unsure of how to interpret the tears I slowed down. Instantly the tears stopped. Amazing. He could not handle the speed of even a commercially restricted slow go-cart.

For his eighteenth birthday grandpa financed a loan so that my son could buy his first car. And because he was not insured to drive it home, I drove. It brought back memories of the go-cart. The forty mile per hour corner at seventy scared him. Eight years ago, when Larry was twenty-five years old, he gave my wife a ride in that 1978 Formula Firebird. At sixty miles per hour he down shifted and spun the back tires and they were off. In seconds they were doing one hundred and forty. I don’t know that man. Whose child is he anyway?

June 28, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

1 posted 2004-06-29 01:19 PM

"At sixty miles per hour he down shifted and spun the back tires and they were off. In seconds they were doing one hundred and forty. I don’t know that man. Whose child is he anyway?"

Your stories about your son make me miss a relationship I never had with my father.  And in light of having previously read of Larry Jr's affection for motorcycles, this one brought a knowing smile...  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-06-30 10:54 AM

Duncan,
I used to press my dad really hard for more of his time. He was such a work-aholic. And thank you for the smiles.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
3 posted 2004-07-05 01:15 PM

i once read a principle held fervently by some person that said, "you must always give people room to surprise you". i guess this applies everywhere, even to your own flesh and blood
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2004-07-06 11:07 AM

kaile,
Yup, indeed it does! Thanks.

Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

5 posted 2004-07-12 06:30 PM

Thanks for sharing.  Having a son myself - and experiencing that worry about his future - this was a comforting read.  I guess that's part of being a parent. You just care so much, its hard to deal with unknowns. And I suspect the unknowns cause a whole lot more worry than they have to.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2004-07-12 06:45 PM

Can I go along on the next ride?PLEASE????
Never mind, I don't like to go faster than a camel's pace.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
7 posted 2004-07-13 07:57 PM

Copperbell,
Thanks. Yup, kids they are a cause for concern. I find it fascinating that things don't turn out like what you would have guessed. But we hang in there anyway.

Kacy,
Bless you. And me, I just like excellaration. Speed is not my thing! And on day we'll pony-up, I mean camel-up and ride.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Zero to One-hundred-forty

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary