navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #24
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #24 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2004-05-05 08:42 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #24
By Larry Chadwick
I miss you papa.

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #24 “If I Could Write a Column”:

First of all if I could write a column I would quit my day job. Now do not misunderstand me because I love my day job.  But let’s face it few people are lining up for my opinions. I remember being in second grade and putting together the structure for a boys club. My sole purpose was to make myself the president. It turns out nobody wanted to hear my opinions way back then either.

I took Freshman English in college six times. Without a contracted promise from my last professor I would never have passed that class. Just the terror of writing overwhelmed me. Then one of my first jobs after I graduated required that I write 6-8 page reports four and five times a week, for a judge no less. Still I lacked the courage to write for myself. And heaven forbid that I would even think of proof reading my own work.

It turns out that there is so much that is subjective about writing that I will likely never write anything that does not qualify for being corrected. The good thing is that I overcame my fear. So now I write for my own pleasure. But if I could write a column I would quit my day job. And people would have to pay for my opinions.

April 29, 2004

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2004 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
pictureme
since 2003-11-28
Posts 248
Ohio, USA
1 posted 2004-05-06 10:27 PM

Hello Larry,
In reading your "If I could write a Column",
my thoughts are if I could...I'd write a book. :-)
In your right :-) I'd like to qualify myself
to make a few corrections! As you say, you overcame your fear and now you write for your own pleasure.....but what about mine? :-)
If you did write a column I'd be an avid reader and would have interest in your opinions but....I wouldn't recommend quiting your day job with that statement.
Anyways thanks for letting me make those corrections and thanks for the write! :-)
Looking forward to your next assignment!
pictureme :-)

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2004-05-07 12:17 PM

pictureme,
I plan no employment changes in the near future. And thank you for the corrections. Also thank you for your faithfulness.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #24

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary