navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » a modern love story
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic a modern love story Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
noah j
since 2003-03-05
Posts 82
on the open road with the wind blowing in my hair

0 posted 2004-03-21 06:37 PM

this is as of yet unfinished, i have no idea how to finish it.  also, most of the typos are on purpose because of the nature of the writing, i don't think the character writing would spell check his e-mails.

To: gg@aol.com
Re: Dear John letters
Sent: 3/20/04  8:44 PM

Grace-
Hmmmm.  How does one start a letter such as this, you should know, you were always the one that was good with words.  Me i just let them control me.  But here let me give it a try:

i must say i was surprised by the letter that i received in the mail.  i thought a dear john letter after two years of a dating showed at least a small deficiency in your character.  You are not answering your phone so i am forced to guess this is your e-mail address.  I think i saw you use it once.  

But i am not writing to bash you, one of my many qualities is that i am a good loser (hahaha, guess because i have had so much practice).  But i do want to say that if i was boring you and was just a “tiny bit too nice” well i hope the man you find next is a jerk.  Where i just “treated you a little bit too well”, well then i hope he treats you very badly.

Sorry i think that was supposed to come off more of a joke than that (i always was sarcastic, but you know that) but i did want to let you know a few things before we end this thing for good:

Grace I think:
1) That you are a terrific person
2) That you deserve to find what you are looking for
3) That i will end up being fine about this whole thing, so don’t worry about me
4) That you know where i will be (refer to number 23 on your list of why you broke up with me) if you ever want to talk about anything
5) I love you

So we come to end of this long and winding road, it has been rocky and tumultuous (and i guess in the end, ultimately boring) at times but i will not forget any of it ever.  

Your friend always
Noah J

To:gg@aol.com
Re: just a question
Sent: 3/29/04 3:10 PM

Grace-

Is this the right address, i guess i will assume it is until i hear otherwise.  i saw you today at Barnes n Noble and i was going to go up and say hi until i saw you were with another guy.

Is he the reason you broke up with me?  i am not demanding anything here, i know you are a grown woman and can do whatever you want, but i guess i would just like to know.

Well anyways i saw you and you looked happy.  It made me feel good to see you that happy.  Although i did see the book you bought and it was the new Mitch Albolm book and i hoped you weren’t reading it for that guy.  Albolm is a second rate author if i ever read a second rate author.  My 4 year old nephew could have written “tuesday’s with morrie”.

But anyway i know it sounds like i was stalking but i want you to know that i wasn’t.  

Your Friend Always,
Noah J

p.s. by the way, i am not gay or anything but the guy you are going out with seems like a step up from me.  not that i don’t have any possibilities of my own, i have a date tomorrow with one of the ladies i teach with.  She seems pretty nice.  Well i guess that is it.  

Actually it isn’t.  i just wanted to say how weird it is not telling you all about my life.  I guess that is why i wrote this e-mail.

Re: April Fools Day
Sent: 4/1/04 10:43 PM

grace-

happy april fools day.  i went on the date that i was telling you about.  The girls name was Rachel.  She was the young teacher i used to talk about a lot (i believe we had a fight about it once, i think it was the only time you ever got jealous).  we went to bristol’s (i wanted to go some place we never went and since you hate fish, we never ate there) and it was very good.  i think she had a few too many glasses of wine because when we went to go see the movie, intolerable cruelty, (the new coen brothers movie), she laughed a lot more than she should have.  

Oh. Am i talking to much about Rachel.  I figured since you are seeing other men that you wouldn’t mind me seeing other women.  i do think it is funny that she is so much the opposite of you though.  is this weird me talking about other woman?  Cause i think it would be weird for me to hear you talk about it.  

She is not as witty.  But that being said i don’t have to think about everything i say because she won’t rip me for the slightest grammatical error (that is both a good and bad thing).  

it is a funny thing.  i know she is not my soul mate, she does not make me feel anything that you ever did at all.  But in a small way that is almost more comforting, i mean it takes some of the pressure off of me.  if i screw it up with her, it is not like i am losing a lot.  

A side note here, i do miss your humor.  i miss the darkness of it, i miss the genuiness of it, i miss the way it made me feel.  The all inclusive nature of it always had the ability to astound me.  It had a way of just making me feel good and making me know that i knew you. (and a lot of times knowing you in a way that other people didn’t, knowing the neurotic side of you always had a way of making me smile)

i am sitting here watching “as good as it gets” and jack nicholson at one point when things are not going that good for him turns to the people around him and says “what if this is as good as it gets”.  and it made me think, what if it is, one will never know.  Well that is wordy as i get, you were the wordy one.  i miss the notes you used to write, you could always express yourself so well.  me when i write just seem to get all jumbled up.  i mean the things i wrote to you in your birthday cards were always so generic, but you, you could always make me cry.  

well i have no more to say.  So this is the end of this letter.  

Your Friend Always,
Noah J

Re: corey rothermich
Sent: 4/30/04 2:05 PM

Grace-

It is Saturday afternoon and i am really drunk.  This letter will probably take forever to type since i am hitting one key at a time.  I have been drinking all afternoon sipping on my bottle of whiskey.

Why?  This is sure to be the question popping up in your mind and i feel i should answer it.  I ran into your boyfriend at Barnes n Noble this afternoon and we talked.  I learned out a lot about him, he is a tax lawyer (isn’t that the kind of guy that you used to make fun of).  Incidentally, i brought you up and asked him about you (this is the point in the conversation that he got a little creeped out i think).  but i eased his mind by talking about Rachel.  

But then it happened? I had to ask him, what was it that he loved about you?  And what he said made me so depressed.  You know what he said, “well she is damn fine looking, you know”.  That is all he said, i asked if that was it, and he gave me a look like, what more is there.  

Grace you are so much more than a good-looking girl.  You are the embodiment of a perfect human being.  Sure, you are great looking, but a common bum on the street could see that.  If a person had asked me what i loved about you when we were dating, i could have gone on for days.  They would have been bored to death by the time i was done with them.  You deserve more than a person who just notices the external—cause there is so much more to you than that.

Your Friend Always,
Noah J

p.s. the book he had in his hand was “Siddhartha” by herman hesse.  Please tell me that is not the kind of stuff you are reading now.  i mean that is worthless crap, it makes a notion of being deep without ever getting below the topsoil it espouses to dig up.  but all the tax lawyers who want to prove to their friends that they are deep read it and talk about it loudly at lunch.  The man probably thinks “the matrix” is the deepest movie he has ever seen.  

p.p.s. i am sorry for the insults this letter delivers.  i did not mean to insult your boyfriend, Mr. corey rothermich.  

the only people for me are the mad ones-mad to live, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at once--jack kerouac

© Copyright 2004 noah goldkamp - All Rights Reserved
a123
since 2004-03-27
Posts 72

1 posted 2004-03-28 10:23 PM

wow.i wanted to read more after i finished it but i think you are getting a little repetitive.maybe you could include a reply from the girl or something i dont know but dont stop you are good.
tell me how do you plan to end it?
and change the title i dont think it fits

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » a modern love story

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary