navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Return To Sender (Part Eleven)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Return To Sender (Part Eleven) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA

0 posted 2003-12-23 09:39 PM

The ride was quiet...as each sat....looking over the landscape ahead....rolling plains that fell over the earth’s curvature into a setting sun.
Bill was in a daze at the moment, somewhat
speechless after the surprise which neither
anticipated, but thoroughly enjoyed.  He smiled,
a twinkle forming in his eyes as he remembered the feel
of her skin, dimpling from the moment...it had
been so very long since Bill had even courted a woman, let alone shared
such intimacy with one....they both needed those moments...

Mary Lou was happy to let Bill drive into town.  After all, she had only been down this road
once by herself, and that was the first day when she delivered the envelope to Bill’s home.
The ride into town was not planned,   she did not know what else to do with no one seeming
to be at home that day.  Little did she know that she and Bill were only steps away from
each other as she left the porch, walking to her car.  

The ride was smooth,   the sun setting quickly into the landscape....so tranquil...Bill
did not talk much during the trip...He seemed to be in some other place right then...

Suddenly, from out of the darkness...a deer ran into the road in front of Bill and
Mary Lou....Instinctively, Bill swerved to avoid the deer.  His tires caught the shoulder
and the vehicle was out of control, sliding into the ditch alongside the road, then
turning over and rolling twice before coming to a stop.....The headlights shining
eerily into the night sky as dust settled around the scene.    Mary Lou struggled
to release her seatbelt....Bill did not move.  Unconscious from a severe blow to
the head...Bill was bleeding from his nose and one of his ears.  

Mary Lou knew that Bill was seriously hurt.  She also knew that if Bill were to die,
her hopes for her children would be lost....they would end up dying from the
disease within their veins......Frantic, Mary Lou searched the vehicle for her purse.
For, inside her purse was a cell phone.  With it, she would be able to dial 911 and
get emergency assistance on the way....  Finally, after several minutes of searching,
she located her purse, within it she found the cell phone.....

Nervous, hands shaking from the fear of the moment, she attempted to dial the
correct number....failing to do so, she tried again.    The phone rang,   rang again.
On the fourth ring, a female voice answered, asking what was the emergency...
Mary Lou, taking deep breaths to calm herself, managed to tell the operator what
their emergency was.....Help would be on the way shortly....  Still about eight
miles from town, it would take upwards of ten minutes for the EMS to arrive on
the scene....

Still unconscious, though breathing shallow ragged breaths, Bill lay in the driver’s
seat of the vehicle.  Still restrained by his seatbelt,   he would be secure until help
arrived at the scene... The night air was chilly, causing the windshield to fog,  
creating a surreal scene within the car.   Mary Lou sat there beside Bill, shivering
from the moment as well as the air temperature that was dropping rapidly within
the car.  Help would arrive soon.   Wiping clear the windshield, Mary Lou looked
into the distance, attempting to see if a vehicle were coming their way....Please
hurry, save this man....she prayed for Bill, Her tears flowed freely down both
cheeks, smearing her mascara....Such a sight she would be to anyone who saw
her face...  Time slowly ticked into the evening air....as the reaper stood silent,
watching....waiting...

[This message has been edited by Magnus (12-24-2003 08:35 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Barry J. Tackett - All Rights Reserved
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
1 posted 2003-12-23 10:20 PM

Oh man...

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
2 posted 2003-12-24 04:18 AM

gawd!

I'm going to have to go buy a new seat...

the edge of this one just met its end

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-12-24 08:16 AM

Smiling...you already have the ending figured out...have you picked up one of my tricks, then?  The art of stringing one along, keeping the interest...you wear the mantle well, my friend...

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
4 posted 2003-12-24 03:11 PM

You need to crank out 12 before egg nog time...you hear?

"if you won't let me fall for you
then you won't see the best that I would love to do for you"
~Dido~

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2004-01-04 12:49 PM

I find myself holding my breath~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram
         noles1@totcon.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Return To Sender (Part Eleven)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary