navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Opposite Ends
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Opposite Ends Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SimpleDiscourse
since 2003-04-24
Posts 79

0 posted 2003-10-12 06:21 PM

Just something I randomly wrote the other night and felt like posting on here.
------------------------------

We’re sitting in a living room. His or mine, I can’t remember anymore. I just remember sitting at opposite ends of a couch. He mumbles something like “I think I might still be in love with you maybe.” I don’t say anything in response because it doesn’t seem like he really wants me to say anything. Even if he does want a reply, I don’t know what to tell him. We haven’t so much as glanced at each other ever since we sat down on this couch. There’s music playing in the background. Something soft and sad. Melancholy. I’m not even sure where it’s coming from. Maybe it’s just in my head. My mind making up a soundtrack as it goes along. The thought of something like that makes me smile. “Don’t smile.” He says from his distant end of the couch. I almost forgot he was even in the room. I don’t bother asking him why he doesn’t want me to smile. I bet it’s a silly reason anyway. This whole situation suddenly seems so utterly feeble-minded. I stifle laughter. In my peripheral vision I see him close his eyes. Trying to block me out. Which only makes me laugh harder. And I can hear him muttering but I have lost control of my brain and I can’t stop laughing. “Would you please just shut up?” He says it quiet and slow but forceful. Silence fills the room once again except for the background music that is now loud and furious. Irate. “Do you hear that music?” I ask him nervously, my eyes shifting around. To his face back to the ground. Face. Ground. He says nothing. And I turn my head completely away from him. And suddenly I’m thinking about all the other times we’ve sat on this couch. All the other times we’ve held one sided conversations. All the other times this moment has been played. And then I’m thinking about a long time ago when things weren’t like this. Things were normal and happy and good. And we sat in the middle of the couch and our conversations were two sided and when he told me he loved me, he wasn’t just guessing. Now I’m crying. I watch tears fall on the couch making the fabric a shade darker until the tear dries up and it goes back to its regular color. And then I turn around, because I want to look in his eyes. I want to see if there’s still some of that long time ago left inside him. But when I turn around, I’m greeted by an empty seat on a couch. Not even an impression left on the cushion. As if he were never there to begin with. And the background music slowly fades to silence.

© Copyright 2003 Erin Reynolds - All Rights Reserved
River
since 2003-09-16
Posts 627
my own little world
1 posted 2003-10-17 09:41 PM

wow, this is really sad...it reminds me of a strange dream. it's random and wierd, doesn't entirely make sense, but gives me an eerie feeling all day long. this is actually a good thing because ...i don't know, it sometimes inspires my poetry. it doesn't exactly have a happy ending, but that's reality a lot of the time, and thats dreams sometimes too. gr8 job =).

- River

Love hurts as bad as it feels good.

MsSouthernOrchid
since 2003-07-12
Posts 192

2 posted 2003-10-19 10:17 PM

Hi. Just wanted to put my 2cents worth in. I like this. It is very sad, but the end of any relationship usually is. I think it is well written.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Opposite Ends

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary