navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » at the front door
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic at the front door Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2003-09-16 07:31 AM

One of the benefits of living deep in the bowels of the city is that there are very few door to door salesmen, so there are very few knocks on my front door.  It is a pain to open anyway with the deadbolts and chain, but it’s a good heavy steel reinforced door and has a vinyl front that simulates wood so to be somewhat attractive.  It was well before dark, although the gray skies blotted out any real sunshine, when there was a knock at the door.  I peered out the window first, mildly curious, to see a young woman and man there.  The woman was the one knocking on the door, and neither of them looked particularly dangerous so I investigated by opening the bolt and talking through the chain opening.
“What do you want?” I said in a matter of fact voice, not wanting to show any encouragement in case they were sales people or pitch people or someone I didn’t want to bother with.  She told me her name and for a second it didn’t register, I guess the old gray matter between the ears is slowing a bit with age, but then she mentioned her mother’s name and a flood of memories came back.  I unchained the door and let them in.
She introduced the man with her as her soon to be husband and he smiled at this, but said very little.  I got them a cup of tea and they stayed long enough to drinking it before going.  In the brief time she thanked me for helping her get into the local Catholic High School, told me of how she went to Nursing School and that her mother had died.  That I already knew, but didn’t know the circumstances of her death.  They left after a brief time leaving before the sun set and cast the shadows across the neighborhood.
After they left I went over to the bible in the corner, it’s one of those big bulky ones on it’s own pedestal which I bought when I was younger thinking this would be a good family bible.  Mostly it sits there in the corner of the room open to a Psalms.  So I closed it and let it fall open to any page by letting go of both sides at the same time and it opened to one of my favorite parables.

Mark 4:8; And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred.

Gloom

© Copyright 2003 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
1 posted 2003-09-16 01:22 PM

Susan

Lotus Breeze
since 2003-09-06
Posts 112

2 posted 2003-09-16 07:36 PM

You always help others, My Mother says that mark of good man,
Prose is good too, you make poem of this?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-09-17 06:53 AM

Perhaps, Lotus, he Will make a poem of this.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » at the front door

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary