navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Deep Song
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Deep Song Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
cusick
since 2003-07-27
Posts 668

0 posted 2003-07-28 11:18 AM

I lie here in the depths of my misery from which I know that I will never rise.
How happy we had been a few months ago.Now despair is my constant compannion.
The day little abby was born was the happiest day of my life. Almost at once I forgot how desperately I  had  wanted a son.
As she grew she would follow me everywhere, even in the darkest caverns.
Her mother was horrified the day that I told her I was taking Abby to the surface.
"You must be mad," shr cried." You know what will happen if the Dry Landers see you. No it is far too dangerous."
I laughed her fears away. Nothing would happen to my Abby while she had me to protect her.
I saw Abby,s  sleek body float on the waves and bask in the sunlight. I forgot her mother's warning, lost in admiration  as she began leaping and diving, her screams of delight knew no bounds .At last she was exhausted and we returned to the deep From then on there was no holding her. With or without me she would make her way to the surface and never return home until her energy was spent.
In the evenings I would croon her to sleep. She never tired of the  lullabye's and gradually she came to know them by heart. Her mother would smile at us affectionately.
"And who is it who wanted a son,"     she would tease.
As she grew she would sing the songs that I had taught her, her haunting interpretations echoing through the dark depths, bringing suitors from far and wide.
"You won't be able to keep her to yourself  forever, "Laura warned.
This I knew but surely this was far into the future.
On the day that she disappeared Laura tried hard to console me but nothing that she could say or could bring solace. I searched everywhere for weeks  but she was  gone  and my life was empty.
I will pass over this God forsaken period. A time I wish to forget.
One day while brooding in a deep, dark recess, I thought that I heard her sweet voice singing., a haunting refrain that had been a favourite to both of us. My mind was playing tricks again for I knew that I was completely alone. My heart was heavy, thinking of the past. There it was again, a lilting melody echoing through the cavern. Suddenly a shadow fall over me. Who dare intrude into my thoughts.
"Daddy."
Was I dreaming? How often  I had pined to hear that one word.
"Daddy."
My darling was back. Joy filled my heart as I swam towards her. But who was the stranger by her side?
"This is my husband Daddy."
The  exhuberance of a moment ago quickly died. I had found her but I had lost her .
He was far too smug looking for my taste. Too handsome for his own good. The type who would never be satisfied with just one partner.. He would have to be watched. She introduced him with such pride that I was careful not to let my thoughts show.
Looking behind her she called softly,
"Joby, come here and bring your brothers with you."
Swimming towards me were three of the spriteliest
pups that I had ever seen. They were gazing at me shyly and from  deep inside I felt such a swelling of pride. My spirits soared.
Abby was  telling me their names but I hardly heard. A yearning to touch and pamper them  was  so strong. I just wanted to hold them.
Laura was in raptures over the boys and took to our son-in-law on sight.
We settled down to what was my idea of heaven. Now I had three children to love and teach the pleasures and hazards of our under water homeland. And to sing. No lullsby's for them , a sonic boom would be more descriptive .
There was just one drawback. Abby,s husband. It wasn't anything that he said or did, just that I couldn't trust him.
"Trust our daughters,s judgement, Laura cautioned, "She loves him and you can see how he treats her and the boys. That should put your mind to rest." But it didn,t Hadn't he taken her without telling us. I would never forgive him.
"Pardon me but isn't that exactly what you did?'How easy you forget>"
"That was different."
"How.?"
"At least I had met your father, that is more than he ever did."
"You met him once and he didn't care for you, remember?"
She could talk until the cows came home, it wouldn't make any difference.
I spent as much time as I could with the boys, disregarding Laura and  and Abby's plea not to spoil them.They were young and needed an outlet for their boyiah spirits. Their father had no time to play with them, he was busy foraging  for food. Reluctantly I had to give him credit,  he was a good provider and as the boys grew strong and healthy my criticism of him began to fade.
Laura would beg me not  to let them stray too far, the noise they made could attract the Dry Landers, that was her worst nightmare. Although I had heard rumours of those calous hunters of the sea, I refused to curb their childish antics. Let them sing and play, no one would find them here.
As they grew stronger they strayed further ,until one day, as they were shouting their anthems,their happy voices turned to shrieks of terror.
Quich as a flash I rushed towards the, followed by their father, only to find them tangled in a mesh, being dragged upward.
Desperately we struggled to free them. Laura and Abby's screams reverberated through the depths. All our frenzied efforts could't prevent them being hauled aloft.
In desperation we followed their tragic path to the surface. Laura and Abby were quiet now in their hopelessness.
We watched as their helpless bodies were hauled, screaming, aboard a vessel by the Drylanderd. We swam as far as the shore, knowing that all hope was lost.
As I lie here in my misery I know that I have nothing to live for. The pathetic cries of my loved ones my only company, for I seek no other.
No more will I hear the deep song of my beloved.

© Copyright 2003 cusick - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Deep Song

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary