navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Finally Got It
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Finally Got It Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-06-25 01:01 AM

I Finally Got It
By Larry Chadwick

I must confess to being a slow learner. How could I have lived so long and not seen the obvious? I may be average at most things but I certainly thought I was a little smarter than the average person. Perhaps it was not me. Maybe I have led a life more blessed life than I even realized.  Imagine a wonderful childhood like mine and it was even better than I could describe.

I had my bumps and grinds in my adult life. But maybe it was not as tough as I considered it to be. What a pleasant thought. It is the only way. Again I just do not believe I could miss the truth. Surely it was hidden somewhere. Here I figured I had a good life and it was more pleasing than I knew.

But when taking an inventory of lessons learned tonight I had to make my confession. It was not just because of this past year when I lost my daughter and then my father. When confronting an issue for a friend tonight every lesson I shared came from an experience in my life based on pain. How come I did not know a long time ago that the best lessons learned…come with pain?
June 24, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2003-06-25 08:19 PM

Yanno my dear friend, I'm not so sure that I can agree with that conclusion. Why not? Because the love and joy you experienced with your daughter also taught you many, many lessons, and the fun times you've had with your son, and continue to have, also teach you even when you aren't aware of the lessons.
My heart goes out to you, Larry, for you've had to endure such a difficult year, so many trials. But look around at the thousands of small great things that have also gifted you with learning and wisdom.
Heart hugs to you, and please remember all the pleasant lessons, though they may not seem to have as great an impact emotionally.
Love to you, Kacy

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-06-25 08:36 PM

Kacy,
It's nice to know you will always speak your mind. I love that about you. As head elder I was called to consult with the pastor on a sensitive issue. And everything that I drew from that applied to the situation was based on experiences through out my life that all caused me much pain. Hence this piece.

It does not preclude all the other forms of learning or the blessings of good times and good friends. But so far the really big lessons are from the most painful things I have been through.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-06-26 02:29 PM

Larry, they say the pain lessens.  I'm not sure that is so.  Perhaps it eases a bit when we do reflect on all of the good we shared with our loved ones, but now and then it does come back to remind us just what we have missed with them since.

So I gather up my stories to share with them, when I meet them down the road....

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (06-26-2003 02:30 PM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-06-26 03:00 PM

Sharon,
Most of the topics I shared with the pastor had nothing to do with loss of loved ones. It was about other challenges in my life all of them causing me tears. And certainly pain from any experience lessens over time. But if it was of any value the lessons never leave us. And thanks always for your support and encouragement.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Finally Got It

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary