navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Truth About Dad
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Truth About Dad Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-06-15 09:59 PM

The Truth About Dad
By Larry Chadwick

It had all the appearances of a Rockwell scene. Mom was knitting. Dad was reading the paper. My little brother was playing with his Tonka toys on the rug and my middle brother was reading the funnies. I was the flaw in the print. Sitting on the couch with dad my thoughts were boiling.

“I hate this hell hole!” I blurted intentionally destroying the moment. Gushing the emotions I had stifled beyond my ability to manage or express.

At fifteen I had never even heard slang from my father’s mouth. And I had only heard my mother damn the pie she burned in the oven. So while I was not the drama king of the family I knew how to get center stage. But I found a truth that night I had not sought.

Instantly I felt the sting from the back of his hand as he made natural assumptions.
Simultaneously he found my sobs and tears while I found his frail humanity. It was the beginning of a life time of vulnerabilities shared. Imbedded forever as a painful memory cherished for its candor.

It was never about home. Home was my haven. And for the first time my dad searched my heart for all it possessed. Driven to fix all that was wrong and comfort what he could not. And that night I found a reason to want to be an adult.

June 15, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
1 posted 2003-06-15 10:31 PM

larry...isn't it funny how in life we learn the deepest lessons by making our own mistakes...h
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-06-16 12:27 PM

Helen,
Thanks and in ways we rarely forget...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-06-16 10:23 AM

Mother's cardinal rule was to never ever administer a slap above the shoulders.  Well, about that same age, I must have quipped something terrible, because she, too, administered one heck of a hand to my cheek.

What was said, I could never remember.  All I have ever remembered was coming back to apologize and seeing HER in tears!  And believe me, that hurt more.

It did, indeed, open a new chapter for the both of us.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-06-17 01:08 AM

It was equally out of character in our home and had a significant impact on us both as well. Life is certainly full of surprises.

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
5 posted 2003-06-17 01:24 AM

The worst mistake can lead to the best things.

~Elizabeth

Dreams last for so long, even after you're gone...
~Jewel

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2003-06-18 12:45 PM

skyshine,
Ain't that the truth!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

7 posted 2003-07-06 07:19 PM

This is quite painful.  I think I'll add it to my library.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2003-07-07 11:24 AM

fractal007,
Thank you. I am honored...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Truth About Dad

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary