navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tit for Tat
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tit for Tat Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-05-18 01:09 AM

Tit for Tat
By Larry Chadwick
Ginger Michelle  February 19, 1974 - May 18, 2003

For fear of having eulogized my daughter into sainthood the truth must be told. Our life was real and had its ups and downs. It has been another surprise to learn that even difficult times can be recalled with warmth.

In her early twenties Ginger’s birthday came and went without having received a card or a gift from me, her adoring father. And so the phone call for the birthday greeting and obligatory apology for my lack of preparation. It was her response that I was unprepared for. At the completion of my explanation the change in our relationship was defined by Ginger based on familiar words I had heard often heard from her mother.

She was not haughty but determined as she explained to me that I had failed to follow the rules of our relationship. Obviously I did not consider her important enough to make her birthday a priority in my planning. And on that basis we would no longer be communicating.

I was not expecting such a response to my birthday greeting but was not unprepared based on my experience with her mother. I let Ginger know that before we ended our call I wanted to clarify a couple of things. As her father I wanted her to know that I had some character flaws and that one of them was that of a procrastinator. And just to set the record straight I wanted her to be aware that all of our kids had experienced the consequences of my procrastination. Worse it was likely to happen again. Ending our call  I advised her, please know that when your feelings change I will still love you as I always have and will be ready to renew our relationship.

I was visiting my son about a year later during my vacation and enjoying our time together. Things were a bit hectic around the house when Larry Jr. took an extended phone call. I was surprised when I found the phone in my hands with the explanation that it was for me. I cautiously said hello and was stunned to discover Ginger on the phone greeting me as if no time had lapsed since our relationship had been interrupted. No apologies, explanations or awkwardness was present in our conversation. I had my daughter back.

Eventually Ginger finished college and graduate school and became a gifted high school teacher. I had no idea how much satisfaction I would get out of her first year of teaching. But that winter when my birthday came I was very pleased to get an appropriate greeting from her in a phone call. It was then that I heard a speech I was familiar at making not hearing. Sheepishly she was explaining how hectic her work load was and how she had both a card and a gift but they would be late as she had no time to get them in the mail soon enough. No more was spoken of the topic. How gratifying to see life come full circle.

May 13, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (05-18-2003 01:19 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2003-05-18 08:50 AM

For fear of having eulogized my daughter into sainthood
=======================
nope...not into "sainthood" ...just into our hearts.
What a lovely coincidence...thats the same place her father is.

I refuse to accept that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism & war that the daybreak of peace can never be reality.
MLK

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
2 posted 2003-05-18 11:17 AM

*big hugs* she knew / knows that you love her  
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2003-05-19 12:12 PM

JM,
You are TOO kind. But thank you, always.

Rhonda,
Yup I know you're correct. And thank you very much.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
4 posted 2003-05-20 11:37 AM

Not for lack of words but because this says it all
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2003-05-21 01:08 AM

kaile,
I should have ended that piece: "It was the best birthday present ever!" You read me well and I enjoy that about you. Thank you.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-05-22 11:07 AM

Only when our children grow old,
do we become wise in their eyes...

hugs for this, Larry.

An honest, and promised write.  

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-09-22 07:15 PM

and I can't say why I'm crying, except that perhaps, this one hits close to home (vicariously...for a friend today who lost his daughter last week in a fiery auto accident...no time to say goodbye)
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2005-07-26 08:59 PM

More apologies for failure to follow up.

Thank you Karilea. It is gratifying I must say.

Kacy,
A heart felt reply with no acknowledgement. I believe I was compensated for enduring a painful event without striking out or being defensive. And as to the lack of good byes...hopefully they can be accomplished in the remembering.

Earl Brinkman
since 2010-03-03
Posts 1183
Osaka, Japan
9 posted 2010-06-08 11:02 PM

I did read your response to the comment I submitted to your poem previously.  Thinking about this piece makes me think that when we are with family members or loved ones we believe that they will be around forever so we may forget a birthday or do or say rude things.  After all we are only human.  But when we are faced with death it forces us to put things in a different perspective.  I am losing my mother to cancer and of course I love her dearly.  But in our lives there have been moments that I would have liked to take back.  But like I said before we are only human and while we are living we are too preoccupied with life to worry about death until it comes.  And at the moment I am afraid.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2010-06-10 01:42 AM

Earl,
You have every reason to be afraid. When my daughter died there was no warning. And ten weeks later when my father died there was no warning. So I have no experience for what it is like to see it coming. I must say that my faith was at the core of my survival. I pray that you will find the strength and courage you need to endure what is ahead.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Earl Brinkman
since 2010-03-03
Posts 1183
Osaka, Japan
11 posted 2010-06-10 06:05 AM

Thank you for your kind words.  They mean a lot to me.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tit for Tat

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary