navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Sister
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Sister Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

0 posted 2003-05-07 01:06 AM

My younger sister has been older than me most of her life.  I am the oldest sibling...our parents’ guinea pig.  Ever the responsible one, I followed the rules without question and did what I was told.  
I thought everything was fine until the baby arrived.   I came home from school one day and here was this fussy bundle in a bassinette in the front room.  Mom wasn’t fat anymore but she sure was grouchy.  She showed me my new job...sit on the floor and push the bassinette back and forth to try to get the fussy bundle to quiet down.  So I sat there and stared at the green fern linoleum floor and wondered what my life had come to suddenly; pushing and pulling on the leg of the screaming bundle’s bed.  
The screaming bundle evolved into a toddler, and she was lively and fun.   For some reason I lifted her up onto the kitchen counter one day, and she immediately sat down in the butter dish leaving a perfect imprint of her corduroy butt, complete with red lint.  We both laughed, but I got in trouble for that.
I got old enough to babysit while our parents went out for an evening, and my younger sister ate froot loops after dinner, when she wasn’t supposed to.  She later threw up on the stairs that had those little black rubber mats with tiny grooves.  She screamed, “It’s your fault!  You let me eat them!”  I cleaned it up before mom and dad got home.  It’s a funny family story now.
Our mother has always had a great sense of humor and a slightly twisted view of the world around her, and she used to drink martinis.  All through her pre-teen years my younger sister drew cartoons of the events of her life, but especially of our family, with the martininess sprinkled throughout.  They were hilarious, but so realistic that I was afraid she might get “in trouble”.  But she rejected punishment, so it never happened!
Predictably, I started breaking the rules in my mid-teens, but I was sneaky about it to spare my parents the grief!  My younger sister had already rejected those rules and lived her life boldly.  I got married, as expected, and moved away from home.  She moved to her first apartment where the entryway was a second story window to which she had to scale a ladder in order to enter.
When I gave birth to my first son, my younger sister bonded with him intensely, immediately.  Then when he was only two, she carried him on her shoulders to a game at the high school two miles away, just to show him off to her friends.  That’s when I began to realize that my younger sister was older than I’d thought.  She had a knowing of the universe and a love for life’s experiences, and still didn’t follow the rules.
More children came to each of us, and we intertwined and loved them all over the years of our otherwise separate lives. That’s when I began to see how I’d limited myself for the sake of the rules, while she had grown wiser and more lovely in her quest for life and truth.  The span of our ages began to cross.
Sometime after my children left home I realized I was having trouble finding me.  My familiar rules were useless to me now, I was free, but what would I do without the structure and security to which I was born?  My first plea for help was to my strong and independent sister.   I had become the screaming bundle.  This February she looked at me, shook her head and said, “I am SO much older than you”.  It was a loving gesture.   I don’t know if she noticed the gleam in my eye that said, “I love being your younger sister”.

© Copyright 2003 Kahlil - All Rights Reserved
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
1 posted 2003-05-07 09:19 AM

I like this very much...
I won't critique because I have not the necessary experience. Just to say I found it a pleasure to read and lovely how the older sibling ends up the younger
Luv, Liz xxxx

"Gorge the honey from life, and live through the stomach aches knowing they will pass..." ~Liz Pinard 2003~

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
2 posted 2004-02-22 09:12 PM

I really truly enjoyed this so much!
It reminded me of the special bond I share with my younger sister, Chris/Nightshade.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.
Hugs, Nancy

Deb Lynne
since 1999-08-19
Posts 180
Where blue skies meet blue ocean
3 posted 2004-02-22 09:59 PM

You brought back such warm loving memories I have of my baby sister.  We're ten years apart, but I love her like my own daughter and best friend all rolled into one.  Your sister is blessed to have you.
Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

4 posted 2004-02-22 10:00 PM

Thank you, Nancy, I enjoyed reading it again, too!  Almost unbelievable, all the changes I have experienced since that write, and my sister has stood by me through thick and thin. So glad you found something in it to which you could relate.  Makes me feel good!  ~K~
Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

5 posted 2004-02-22 10:02 PM

Deb Lynne, very kind comments from you, thanks!  ~K~
skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
6 posted 2004-02-22 11:27 PM

I liked this a lot. The first line really confused me, until I got to the end. I liked reading the family stories. Those really put your mark on it. Well done! Did your sister like it?

~sky

Hold on, if you feel like letting go
Hold on, it gets better than you know....
~Good Charlotte

Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

7 posted 2004-02-22 11:51 PM

Oh, good, I hooked you!  Yes, my sister liked it...it gave her some fun memories, as well as a few reaffirmations.  Thanks for reading and commenting.  ~K~
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My Sister

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary