navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #6
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #6 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-04-14 01:42 AM

Assignments From My Daughter #6
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #6 “The Most Important Invention of Our Time”:

I certainly enjoy trains, planes and automobiles. And I also enjoy microwaves, televisions and radios. DVD’s and mp3’s aren’t bad either. But who could live without fast food? Plus I’m quite fond of electricity and virtually every appliance that is driven by it. A close friend of mine says there is no debate on this subject. Hands down…it is plumbing.

Now maybe I was too young but I thought my grandma had it really good. Ten miles from a town of six hundred. Five of those miles were county dirt road and the final mile was a rough driveway hanging on the edge of the hills next to a lake through a swamp. She had no electricity or telephone. And the water only ran if grandpa was in a hurry bringing it in from the dam on the creek. The outhouse was a reasonable distance from the kitchen. Then there was that gorgeous log house and incredible garden up a narrow valley with hills full of tall pine trees. Bears, moose, porcupines, cougars, weasels and beaver made for little need to travel to a zoo.

The more I reflect on my list of inventions and then add my friends nomination the less I care about any of them. But only if I can have grandma’s place. So what is the most important invention of our time? Well, personally I would say grandmas.

April 13, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
1 posted 2003-04-14 01:37 PM

Actually, Grandmothers, as nice as they are, aren’t an invention and certainly not of modern times, which I guess is our times.  You evade the issue.  Certainly you make a strong case for grandmothers, and do it well, but because of the evasion I give you only a C Larry.

Gloom

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-04-14 02:01 PM

Professor,
LMBO Both points could not be hidden. However, being true to my college career, the grade is irrelevant!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
3 posted 2003-04-26 06:46 PM

Larry Ms. Chadwick would have given you a B +, and then maybe brownie points for loving your grandma enough to tribute her. so I'll add up all the points and you get 98% an A

(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
  ·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´
     *`·.¸.·´*

Love Always,
Marrie

I TAWT I TAW a puddy CAT!

wings of the moon
since 2003-03-27
Posts 323
Pink bubblegum land
4 posted 2003-04-26 08:32 PM

What was it? "God couldn't be everywhere so he invented grandmas"?
well a fun write anyway, haven't read the others but this was enjoyable

"more than yesterday, less than tomorrow, i love you"

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2003-04-28 12:51 PM

Thanks Kellie for your sweet response.

wings of the moon,
Indeed they are and thank you very much. Welcome to Passions and I hope you love it as much as me.

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
6 posted 2003-05-01 06:14 AM

Larry, this is cute. You had me fooled, though...
I sure did think you were going to say the
bathroom was the greatest invention. LOL

Hugs,  
Ethel

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2003-05-04 07:50 PM

HAHA. I love this one. But you already know that.

I do have indoor plumbing now, you know, and it's still my favorite invention after 10 months of enjoyment.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2003-05-05 02:14 AM

Ethel,
Actually I was saving the invention for promotion by Kacy! It's that Alaska thing she experienced... And thanks.

Kacy,
I knew you wouldn't change your mind! Bless you for your faithfulness. Thanks.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
9 posted 2003-05-07 12:22 PM

Professor Gloom would give you a C but i would call it an unique take on the subject..woohoo to grandmas!
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2003-05-08 12:30 PM

kaile,
WooHoo...to all gramas! And woohoo to you too!!!

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

11 posted 2004-05-20 07:12 AM

Most enjoyable Larry, am enjoying these assignments.

Maree

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2004-05-20 08:34 PM

Maree,
You made my day, thanks.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
13 posted 2004-09-29 01:26 PM

Larry,
   I'm slowly making it through the list and am already dreading the day when the assignments are finished!  When that time comes, maybe I'll write a few responses to her assignments--they are inspiring...

A+ for meandering creativity.  You had me fooled until the last line!  Oh, aren't you a Sweetheart!  Lucky Grandma!

misc'a

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
14 posted 2004-09-30 12:07 PM

Cathy,
LOL You are the one that makes this fun. I was grandma's first grandchild. We were very close to the very end. And she was close to my children as I raised them right down the street. Thank you.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
15 posted 2004-10-03 01:52 AM

Grandmas are great

and then He created the horse...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
16 posted 2004-10-04 12:19 PM

Thanks Rhonda! I suppose if you wrote this assignment your choice would be horses, right?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #6

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary