navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Larry's Daughter
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments from Larry's Daughter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore

0 posted 2003-03-26 12:02 PM

Dedicated to the memory of Miss Ginger Michelle Chadwick

Assignment #1--Words Don’t Always Mean What They Say

We were used to being pampered Kings and Queens, no thanks to indulgent parents. The early school years were arduous for us, for we had to face peers who weren't necessarily adoring the ground we walked on. In fact, some were masters of the same tricks we perfected~how a charming smile became our greatest tool at our disposal, how the throwing of tantrums would make people fulfil our whims. It was hence inevitable that personalities clashed.

"I don't wanna friend you anymore," so we threatened whenever we couldn't get our way, sometimes huffing and puffing, other times shedding angry tears but adamant nonetheless that our peers were idiots. But of course, all feuds and thoughts of seeking revenge were forgotten the next day and we would happily get along, until the next argument arose.

During my teenage years, I came to realise that I was rather quick-thinking and possessed a sharp tongue. I thought I should spice up our lives a little by utilising my assets. Hey, life's just a game and why take it so seriously? It's all in the name of fun and laughter, right?

"I'm sorry. I was just joking" became my trade slogan but I was often criticised for being sarcastic and slammed with the sentiment: If you know you are going to apologise for the remarks you make, why utter them in the first place? The well-orchestrated laughs I thought I would induce never exactly occurred and I was only amusing myself most of the time. It took me years though before I could see their point--that "sorry" is a sacred word and no decent human would abuse it

Sometimes when I refuse to follow my mum's advice, she would exasperatingly lament to my dad about how stubborn and unfilial I am and how I won't bother to stand by her when she becomes frail and in need of my care. I used to be hurt by her callous remarks and would bury myself  forcibly in a book I'm reading, determined not to let them fall on my ears. And I definitely wouldn't give her the privilege of seeing how affected I was.

I've lived long enough to realise that many things in life aren't constant but your parents will always love you, no matter what. And these words mean what they say

[This message has been edited by kaile (03-26-2003 12:22 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 heng kaile - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2003-03-26 12:35 PM

kaile,
A compliment of the highest order! You make this flawed heart feel so very warm. Excellent write. I too had a sharp tongue in my adolesence. But I grew to understand that sarcasm wasnt' humor but rather disguised anger. Well done and you make me proud.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments from Larry's Daughter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary