navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #3
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Assignments From My Daughter #3 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-03-23 10:43 PM

Assignments From My Daughter #3
By Larry Chadwick

L.L. Bean wasn’t really her style. But then again that hat. She had to have that hat. It would work so perfect with her classroom. So she sat down at her computer and proceeded to write a whole sequence of topic titles. Relying on her kindergarten experience she got her scissors out and separated each title into a single paper strip. When they were folded in half they went into her hat. And the hat went to her high school English classroom. It would do her juniors and seniors good to write impromptu papers on random topics.

Assignment #3 “Words Don’t Always Mean What They Say”:

It seems I first learned the truth of this in first grade. You remember when the boys pestered the girls they liked as if they were enemies. Madly in puppy love they would tell their friends how they hated that girl. Who knew the playground would become a training ground for reverse psychology?

My dad only hit me once in my life. I was fifteen and the pressure of my life exploded in the living room when I blurted out “I hate this hell hole!” It was a humiliating lesson for my dad. I did not mean my home. Sometimes it hurts when words don’t mean what they say.

“Until death do you part…” Nobody at nineteen is wise enough to utter those words. Even good intentions don’t always make words mean what they say. And the consequences can have a lasting impact on the next generation.

“I’ll see you soon.” If only those words could mean what they say.

March 23, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-03-24 11:05 AM

You're starting a book of Larry's Thoughts, aren't you?  With these golden snippets to be put in - so fathers and mothers will know of sons and daughters, like yours?

You are starting that book, right?

Right?

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-03-25 12:15 PM

Karilea,
You do know your tenderness is not resented and that I still don't believe everthing I read, right? You're the best. Thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
3 posted 2003-03-26 10:57 AM

It seems I first learned the truth of this in first grade. You remember when the boys pestered the girls they liked as if they were enemies. Madly in puppy love they would tell their friends how they hated that girl. Who knew the playground would become a training ground for reverse psychology?

~~Yup, learnt that lesson too...guys have a funny way of expressing those emotions ya?...gave me a chuckle to think that little boys can exhibit the same behaviour, regardless of where they come from...

“Until death do you part…” Nobody at nineteen is wise enough to utter those words. Even good intentions don’t always make words mean what they say. And the consequences can have a lasting impact on the next generation.

~~Hmmm, from personal experience? I was surprised to see such sentiments from you but i dug into the archives and found out that you chose poorly during 19

~~how this hurts. i'm so sorry

[This message has been edited by kaile (03-26-2003 07:54 PM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-03-27 12:53 PM

kaile,
Well now... Sixteen years the first time and sixteen years this summer the second time. Hmmm, there's the truth. Such kind words you share and thank you so much.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2003-03-27 09:53 AM

==============================

.... ....  ....  ....  ....  ....

(and sometimes ... words are not needed)

"and when we get to the pearly gates ...
we'll find what we called our sins were just mistakes."

Tom Kimmel

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2003-03-28 12:07 PM

JM,
I knew you knew...

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2003-03-29 06:30 PM

Enjoyed your soft words Larry...James
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2003-03-30 01:44 AM

Thank you James. I always appreciate your reading my work.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

9 posted 2004-05-20 06:55 AM

“Words Don’t Always Mean What They Say”

How true is this... I found this out many a time and yanno what? I dicovered only just days ago... that “Words Don’t Always Mean What They say" again. sigh.

These are just wonderful Larry.

thank you.

Maree.

The clouds never expect it when it rains, but the sea, changes colour, but the sea, does not change.
~Stevie Nicks~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2004-05-20 08:31 PM

Maree,
I truly mean how very kind. But yes I know what you mean.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
11 posted 2004-06-29 11:18 AM

That's for sure...
   another prose enjoyed; thanks, Larry.

miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2004-06-30 10:55 AM

miscellanea,
How kind of you to take the time to read some of these. It is a pleasure to get your responses. Thank you.

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
13 posted 2004-12-06 05:00 PM

"Words don't always mean what they say"...so very true. Some say actions speak louder than words too...
...*hug*
Lizzie.

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
14 posted 2004-12-07 07:46 PM

Lizzie,
Now there's another topic for an impromptu write. Indeed...thanks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Assignments From My Daughter #3

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary