navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » One More Inch
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic One More Inch Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Amara
since 2003-02-23
Posts 158
East of the moon, west of the sun.

0 posted 2003-03-10 09:07 PM

I'm not sure, yet, which if my favourite time of day. At sunset, when teh sky is painted pink and orange and purple, I feel like I'm sitting on the horizon, lost among the radiant bursts of colour; the sun setting below me, and night creeping in along the edges of my vision. The clouds are arranged just so, and for a moment I can almost below they're solid, enough for me to dance on. Dancing on a cloud, resting on the horizon, amid the warmest tinges of the colour scale. Imagine that.

And sunrise- pure magic. Especially that one, fleeting moment when the sun first peeks above the horizon, that one breathless moment when the night disappears and dawn is here. You can almost see the change, see teh sunlight tumble over the land like liquid gold released from behind a damn, surging and rushing to coat everything in delicate yellow-orange hues. And I sit there, bathing in a fountain of light.

And night...maybe that's my favourite. I sit under the vast, dark sky, counting the stars as they appear until I run out of fingers and toes and everything else I can use to count with. Sometimes, I swear I could almost touch them- if I could just stretch the one extra inch, they'd be within reach, and I could grab one and pull it down from the sky. Imagine, a star in my hand! I wouldn't keep it, of course, I'd send it of with a kiss and a prayer to guard the sky like all good stars do. But just imagine.

Maybe they're all my favourite, sunset, sunrise, and the vast, endless night. Or maybe they change each passing day, like the sea and sky and earth. Tonight, it'll be night, I think. I'll sleep under the protection of the stars, and dream of holding one in my hand. I swear, I can almost reach!

Just one more inch.

Every heart has hidden treasures...a secret wish, a silent dream, and a cherished love. [Unknown]

© Copyright 2003 Stephanie Coulson - All Rights Reserved
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
1 posted 2003-03-15 07:12 AM

how lovely!I love your descriptions.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Amara
since 2003-02-23
Posts 158
2 posted 2003-03-15 01:01 PM

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think I was going to get any...*sniffles*

Blessed Be Thee!
- Stephanie

Every heart has hidden treasures...a secret wish, a silent dream, and a cherished love. [Unknown]

Brad_Smith
since 2004-01-09
Posts 70
Dallas, Texas
3 posted 2004-01-25 06:19 PM

this is a very sweet write. I like it
Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

4 posted 2004-01-25 07:15 PM

Amara,

This was a lovely read, beautifully descriptive.  I'm a lucky person who drives early into the east and returns westwardly with the setting sun.  It's just as you say...
   I'm glad I stopped by for this fresh breath of air.      
                Sadelite

SumdayUwillAcheLikeIache
since 2003-06-01
Posts 10

5 posted 2004-01-28 03:24 PM

just resting on the thin line where adorable things become corny, you've managed to pull it off very nicley

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
6 posted 2004-01-30 09:59 PM

"Dancing on a cloud, resting on the horizon, amid the warmest tinges of the colour scale. Imagine that."

...Yeah sounds great to me! I loved the imagery in this, it sparkled right off the page at me.
Check for typos though!

~Liz~

"Time has told me not to ask for more, one day our ocean will find its shore" ~Nick Drake

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-02-01 05:50 PM

The expression in this is wonderful.  You brought back many moments of my own time in learning the value of sunrises and sunsets.

That is what a writer is supposed to do...make the reader fall back on their own experiences, or open up new vistas.

You've done both.

Amara
since 2003-02-23
Posts 158
8 posted 2004-02-01 06:54 PM

[Allow me to correct my own errors- 'teh' instead of 'the' numerous times, and in the sentence "and for a moment I can almost below they're solid...", below should be 'believe'.]

You know, Sunshine and others, this is *old*! I posted this before I left! What compliments you all pay me, though. Thank you!

May light keep you, faith guide you, and love and laughter always find you.

Kie
since 2004-02-01
Posts 77
USA
9 posted 2004-02-02 05:50 PM

I could have read on forever...Hypnotizing!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » One More Inch

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary