navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » On clones-non-fiction opinion
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic On clones-non-fiction opinion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling

0 posted 2003-02-20 11:52 AM

MY VIEWS SO FAR-for all of the information available,both scientific and theory,moral and philosophy,i believe many have overlooked a basic point.cloning of human beings is inevitable.it is going to happen regardless of any laws any one(or many countries) may pass.the many pros or cons will not matter,the debate does not matter.the more laws that are passed to prevent human cloning,the more this technology will simply be made available only to the elite.and if the technology is only available to those who can afford it,then there will be made an even greater rift between social classes.imagine a world where if you have enough money,your children will be smarter,faster,stronger than a natural born child.they will be immune from most genetic diseases and cancers, the will have an iq of 160 and have a lung capacity 150%
that of the norm,they will be pretty to look at,with athletic bodies,thier life expectancy's will be 130 years and they will dominate the academic world and the olympics too.the movie gattica comes to mind.we have an opportunity to allow this technology to benifit all of mankind.but if we restrict its access by laws based on fallowable morality,which differs from person to person,race to race,country to country.then the few companies that continue this research,or the countries that continue this research in secret will gain an edge and a control that will keep average joe citizen from ever being able to take advantage of what to me is a natural advance in medical technolgy.All this debate is meaningless if it is illegal to pursue cloning research in the united states,yet is legal in syria.or if china denounces cloning as illegal........and then proceeds to in secret develop the technology.would we even know it had happened until the day china took home 150 gold medals at the olympics 30 years from now?the promise is too great for a worldwide ban to be effective.we can argue morality all we want but while we do.......someone is researching.....someone is getting closer....and while we argue someone will be having cloned babies that are one step ahead of the rest of us.embrace this technology,make laws only to prevent the horrors that can result from rushing it,control it with wisdom and allow the research,it will happen without anyones permission or acceptance.I personnaly accept it all.......in all its extremes from the people who simply want to eliminate medical diseases and cancers..........to those who think they can let me live forever or improve on the design.i dont want a third arm to make me a better factory worker........but i am ok with my children being designed to be smarter ,better,immune from diseases,with perfect bodies and minds,not prone to vices.this is the future,for those who cannot think beyond thier morals,or see beyond thier generation,they will be left behind.i dont believe this can be stopped,but every generation will be a little more ok with it.with a lot of foresite and planning this can be everyones future,or with narrow minds it will be only available to a select few.

© Copyright 2003 Jason Lyle - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-02-21 12:06 PM

Very interesting write Jason, I'm going to have to read it again to digest it better, but well done indeed.

I be me BUT who does me be?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » On clones-non-fiction opinion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary