navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Birthday Options
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Birthday Options Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2003-02-07 01:05 AM

Birthday Options
By Larry Chadwick
February 19, 1974

Birthdays. It seems I’ll never look at them the same. Odd how some people resent growing old. As if the alternatives were better. And stranger still, to me, is the need to hide your aging. Plastic surgery, even hair dyes. I never got it and I still don’t. To me gray looks as good on a woman as it does on a man. Young girls are attractive. But women my age, fifty three, are hot. So it seems the challenge with aging isn’t really getting older. The challenge is getting closer to dying.

Birthdays. Don’t complain about them. Better yet, don’t hide them. They are when we celebrate that we are alive. It seems the only mistake I ever made on my birthday was the years that I was twenty-seven. Twice. I created a formula so I would not make that error again. It goes like this: I was born in December of 1949. And for eleven plus months the last number of my age matches the last number of the year. It is 2003 and until December I will be fifty-three. I have now lived longer than my paternal grandfather. Why would I complain about that.

Birthdays. My daughter was going to turn twenty-nine this month. Now that is perspective.

February 6, 2003

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2003 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-02-07 09:31 AM

Middle age
Has thundered in.
I am replete,
With wrinkles,
Graying hair,
And
Excess baggage.
Such questionable
Benefits,
That come later
In one’s life.
It certainly
Causes me,
To momentarily
Wonder, why,
Just why,
My self-esteem,
Is higher,
Than it’s ever been.

I ALWAYS FELT THAT GROWING OLDER BEAT THE ALTERNATIVE.  THANKS FOR AGREEING.

Muys
since 2002-04-06
Posts 389
The Netherlands
2 posted 2003-02-08 10:39 AM

Muys

[This message has been edited by Muys (02-08-2003 03:11 PM).]

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
3 posted 2003-02-08 05:44 PM

They are when we celebrate that we are alive.

In a nut shell!

Hugs Larry~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2003-02-08 10:14 PM

SPIRIT,
Now that's the way it ought to be! And thank you for your great response. Bless you.

Muys(my european mom),
Please know that you mean so much to me. And please don't worry about any misunderstanding here being a problem. I am so impressed with your willingness to be here at PiPs and use english as your second language. Bless you for your kindnesses to me.

Lori,
Indeed they are! And thanks.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

lorenlynn
since 2003-01-27
Posts 203
California Beaches
5 posted 2003-02-12 07:29 PM

Do you ever write anything that isn't right on the mark? Glad to know that I am acceptable without the plastic surgery. Loved this.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2003-02-13 12:07 PM

lorenlynn,
Thank you for your kind words. And you are 100% right about the surgery! Bless you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Birthday Options

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary