navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Uncovered Sin
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Uncovered Sin Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2003-01-30 06:38 PM

~* An Uncovered Sin *~

1,256 words
© Mysteria 01/2003

The Parish of St. Joseph’s covered a large area in the eastern part of the city.  Its communicants were mostly working people who made their living in the sawmills or the machinery works that sprawled along the riverbank.

An acrid smelling smoke pall usually hung low over the entire city, except when rain threatened and the east wind moved the hazy mass further downstream, revealing the sordid homes in a clear light, rather than the usual mist which was kinder.

A few more privileged homes dotted the hilly parts overlooking the river, housing the white collar class employed as the supervisors, managers, and office staff of the industrial enterprises that provided a living to themselves and the teeming occupants on the lower slopes.

Father Flanagan did his best with the aid of two assistants to administer his flock, but with so many, and with all the sickness in the damp climate, his tasks seemed never-ending.  The parish funds were taxed to their limit at all times, even with generous donations of the higher salaried people on the hill.  Bazaars, fetes and rummage sales took in all that the traffic could bear, and still there remained many worthy causes that needed attention.

Mary Regan was the wife of one of the mill workers who had brought her and the two children from a small country town empty of all industry, in the hope that the higher wages possible to earn would enable them to save enough to put a payment on a small farm house, where life promised to be more rewarding.

On this particular Saturday Mary left the children with a neighbours and proceeded downtown on her weekly shopping trip.  It was always a problem making the budget stretch with the ever-increasing high prices to meet the needs of her family.  Finally, all bargains being chosen, she met with an old classmate who also lived in the city, and they exchanged news and pleasantries with each other, then Mary’s friend confided that she was going to the race track to play the last two races.

“Why not come with me Mary?” she said.  “You could leave your basket in the bus terminal, to pick up before you return home.  The children will be alright, won’t they, and we would only be away just over an hour?”

Mary agreed after some persuading and they went off together on the next bus to the track.  

Mary’s friend Alice backed a horse in the 6th race and won twenty dollars.

“Good for you,” Mary exclaimed, “You are so lucky.  Oh, I do wish I had a little extra money and I’d back the last race.  But I haven’t, and that’s that!”

Then she remembered the ten-dollar bill she still had in the special compartment of her purse, which had been earmarked for next month’s portion toward the rent coming due.  Encouraged by Alice’s win and her own eager desire, she passed over half of the rent money as her companion gave her the other half in change so that it could rest safely back inside the purse.

Neither of them won so Mary’s five was gone for good!  The two rode back to the city but Mary was growing more and more depressed though Alice had offered to lend her the erring five, but no, she just couldn’t take it.

Father Flanagan had been toying with the idea of having a bingo game; or rather his lay committee had kept at him suggesting it time and time again.  The Veterans’ Club had been trying it out and obviously making a success of it.  Many of the parish people had been attending.  So the good Father finally gave into the pressure.

The parish hall had been cleaned up and re-arranged and the technical details worked out.  The auxiliary workers had volunteered their services and a notice soon found its way into the Friday night’s paper.

“Why I do believe we shall take in quite a bit of Protestant money,” Father Flanagan chuckled, “And I’m sure we can use it.”

Feeling crestfallen during supper, Mary had little to talk about to her husband Mike, who sat enjoying his evening paper.  Suddenly he said, “Why don’t you go to the parish hall tonight and play bingo?   I’ll watch out for the kids.  You know how you used to like it when we were in the country, Mary?”

Mary didn’t know what to say as she felt so guilty about loosing that money, and she thought this was just another temptation by the devil, but Mike insisted that she go.

Sitting in the hall later exchanging some chitchat with neighbours she generally only caught up with on Sundays after Mass, she perked up quite a lot.  The buffet service was arranged admirably, with coffee, pop, and ice cream while everybody appeared quite happy and very excited.  The room was filled with those intent patrons busily following the numbers on their cards.  Often a cry of “bingo!” rang out and Mary, while not a winner, was enjoying herself.  By intermission however, she started feeling that she should not have come.  

A lady seated next to her came back to the table, after having been away for a few minutes.  She collected her coat and purse and turning to Mary she said, “Would you care to have my card dear?  I’ve been called home by phone as some company has arrived and my husband can’t cope, so I’m unable to stay until the end.”

Mary, who had prudently been playing only the one card, expressed her thanks for the offer, and felt better at this show of kindness by a total stranger.  She felt she saw the lady somewhere before but couldn’t be sure although her face and smile had been familiarly warm.

Right up to the last game Mary played both cards sill optimistic about winning something.  Her second card started showing a surprising attraction for the numbers being called, and this was the big jackpot game.  She adjusted herself in her chair as was getting ready as the numbers being called were starting to fill up her card.  In no time at all she excitedly yelled out, “Bingo!”

There were much laugher and congratulations from around the table.  Father Flanagan, sporting a wide grin, gave her the prize of fifty dollars; followed by a big, warm hug and a cheer.

On her way home to tell Mike the wonderful news Mary thought, “This I don’t truly deserve after not confessing to him that I’d used half of the ten dollars rent money.”

Mary tried asking everyone at Mass the next day if they knew whom the lady was sitting beside her, and no one seemed to know or even remember anyone of the description Mary gave.  Mary had wanted to at least give her ½ of the pot as rightfully it did belong to her.

On her way out of church, she paused to say a prayer of gratitude before the statue of her favorite Madonna, the one depicted as a pleasant and benign woman and not the extremely beautiful girl.  Strange, how it seemed when she raised her eyes to the statue, she imagined that the left eye winked, and assumed it was a trick of the sunlight from the window in the corner, yet how impious such a thought.  She looked again almost in embarrassment.  Truly the benign face was no other than that of the kindly woman who had passed over her bingo card the night before.  

~*~
The End

~ The soul lies buried in ink that does not flow ~

© Copyright 2003 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-01-30 06:49 PM

This is a lovely write. I thoroughly enjoyed it, each and every word.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-01-30 11:29 PM

Sharon,
What a lovely write. I enjoyed this very much. I love how your mind works, you know.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2003-01-31 12:34 PM

Oh thank you both for reading this, I needed a break today so decided to write a little something light hearted basically for myself and store it in Ron's safe.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2003-01-31 09:39 AM

We just never know when we'll be visited by a special angel, do we?... This was a lovely write, Sharon - Do more prose, OK?...
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
5 posted 2003-01-31 11:43 AM

Sharon..what a delightful story!  A heartwarming miracle..thank you.  
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2003-01-31 02:38 PM

Thanks Nan, nope

Martie, glad you enjoyed it, but to read one of your stories would be miracle, got one?

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
7 posted 2003-02-02 01:51 AM

A very nice story Mysteria.  I love one with a happy ending.  Love, Joyce
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

8 posted 2003-02-02 05:37 PM

Fun story Sharon.  Love the ending!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Uncovered Sin

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary