navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » DOTTIE
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic DOTTIE Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Barbara Trautman
since 2002-10-23
Posts 90

0 posted 2003-01-24 11:20 PM

"You seemed so brave and lonely ..."
"I wanted to comfort you like a child..."

Dottie sat propped in her hospital bed in the nursing home.I sat beside her holding her hand, admiring the halo her white hair made in the bed lamp light.I said how pretty she looked.I was thinking how fresh and rested she appeared despite the cancer and her advanced age.She merely smiled and squeezed my hand more tightly.Suddenly, her arms reached out and pulled me to her.A tiny shudder shook her frail body as she whispered, "I'm so glad you were my neighbor."

She pulled away but reached again for my hand.We sat quietly, she staring silently into space and I, watching her.Finally I said, "Dottie, where is your smile?You don't seem like you.Are you depressed?"Silence.Then, so softly I could hardly hear, she said, "Bob, I have an awfully pushy daughter."I reminded her of how her daughter had left her home and husband to come and care for her during the last six weeks.We talked of her daughter's unselfish generosity but Dottie's response was that generosity often carries it's own price.She seemed to wait for me to prompt her to go on but I felt it might cause her to say something she would prefer not to.I merely waited hoping she would continue if she felt she should.We sat holding hands for some time.Suddenly, her eyes filled with tears and she asked for help out of bed.I was concerned she was in pain but she merely wanted to use the bathroom.I helped her walk across the room and returned to sit by her bed.I waited feeling quite uneasy for what seemed a long time.I called to see if I should summon a nurse.No, she didn't want me to do that but she would be awhile.Perhaps I should go on home.By, the way, she said "I'll be home tomorrow."Perplexed, surprised and feeling dismissed, I said my good-bye through the door.

The next time I saw Dottie, she was climbing out of a car and walking unassisted to her front door.I told my husand I would wait until she was settled and I would go over.Within an hour, her daughter was at my door telling us Dottie was gone!Disbelief and shock must have been all over my face.In my mind, I wondered where she could have gone as sick as she was.Then her daughter said she might as well tell me, Dottie had chosen assisted suicide.

Dottie, my friend, my neighbor is dead.Circled by her daughter, some grandchildren and a son-in-law, lying in her own bed, she was given a pill and a glass of wine.As her closest relatives toasted her life and her courage, she swallowed a sip of wine and the pill.She laid down and slept and I couldn't say good-bye.

"I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep, ..."

Goodbye, Dottie.

- - - - - - -

Dottie was not my neighbor's name, I've changed it.But she was a special neighbor and this was my tribute to her.Her daughter was rather pushy and it was the neighbors' consensus that she had become impatient to bring an end to this ordeal. Oregon has an assisted suicide law and while I agree with it wholeheartedly, it is very difficult to come to terms with when the suicide is someone you love.

© Copyright 2003 Barbara Trautman - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-01-25 01:37 AM

Very sad and tragic. I was under the impression that the suffering person must be the one to request said service, of own free will.  When pressured into it by someone who is fed-up with caregiving appears to me that that would not be considered an assisted suicide.  Very, very sad indeed.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2003-01-26 12:13 PM

Barb,
Actually, I don't agree with Oregon's law and voted against it when I was a resident there. It is hard to know if your neighbor was indeed pressured into this choice. We'll probably never know. But it seems you were indeed a good neighbor.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

3 posted 2003-01-26 12:19 PM

I must say, this saddened me greatly. It actually freaked me out quite a bit, for a lack of better wording. I had to take a break away from it. It scared me. Anyway, I'm back. You hit me hard with this one. I have to agree with Larry; I disagree with the law... you have written a beautiful tribute here. Thank you for sharing.

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
4 posted 2003-01-26 01:41 AM

That is really sad. That in my OPINION should be illegal.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2003-01-26 08:36 PM

Ah, where are the witnesses when we need them.  If a loved one chooses to end life because of pain, because of the devastation a lingering illness can bring the family, it MUST be done with the aid, and assistance, of a written living will, a physician, and witnesses...

to aid from pushy children.

Thank you for sharing, Barbara.

lorenlynn
since 2003-01-27
Posts 203
California Beaches
6 posted 2003-01-27 07:16 PM

How sad!
Barbara Trautman
since 2002-10-23
Posts 90

7 posted 2003-01-29 03:38 PM

I'm truly sorry if my "piece" saddened people.  It was my way of consoling myself.  I have no way to know if she was pressured or not.  It just seemed strange to have seen her walking her little dog a couple of days before and then walk into the house unaided and yet -- she was gone.  Her daughter gave her good care while she was here.  We probably all can understand it would be very difficult to make this most momentous decision of our lives and we may even try to find someone else to blame.  I am very confused and others were confused as well.  She was a very sick lady and couldn't have lasted much longer anyway.  Actually, I am in favor of our Death with Dignity law.  I think it is the only humane thing we can do to allow people who are terminally ill to decide for themselves how to end their days.  Being a vegetable and requiring all kinds of money to keep a terminal case alive is just plain foolish in my book.  It is just when it happens to someone dear to you it becomes hard to comprehend.  Thank you all for your kind words.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » DOTTIE

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary