navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Blessing
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Blessing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rm711
since 2002-11-30
Posts 131
Wiltshire, England

0 posted 2002-12-07 03:44 PM

I don't even know if this is prose, what is prose?
aaaah I'm stupid, Oh well I tried.

Every day the very same, nothing to inspire, nothing to make your dreams seem so much more vivid, just life. This boiling, dry wasteland and its grouchy residents have all but a certainty of hope. The routine each day surrounds you with a dull gloom, you’re mesmerised and excited by any kind of change because it always seems so impossible. The morning always the same, walking miles just to find the water to quench your undying thirst. As the day goes on you become more and more tired, dehydrated. Some people go mad from the heat, see a mirage; a beautiful rippling pool of hope. But then as amazingly as it appears it goes again and you bounce back into the harsh reality that you have always known always unwillingly believed.

You always wish for some kind of distraction, if something could take your mind off the work and heat just for a moment, you might find happiness in your imagination. The ever-flowing river of possibility and peace from this war you are fighting in your head. Should you just run, run away from what makes you this way, only this is your home and the only place you know how to live. Ever regretfully you always say no, because the hope is never there, you’ve never witnessed and so never see another life in another world.

From the midst of all this you hear an amazing shriek of joy, the sound you feel so much stronger because its something you have never witnessed in this sudden extreme. You run with all the strength you have in yourself and what you see is something beautiful. Something you feel you have always subconsciously wished for. An amazing fountain, a burst pipe is all it is but to you it’s a miracle. You’re on a high, your flying all you can see for that moment is pure joy. The look on the faces of all those children, running, screaming, towards what you see as a gift, a blessing, something you can’t get your head round because of its wonder. The powerful feeling of just an immense weight lifted from you feels like nothing before.

Picking up whatever buckets and pans you can, you find yourself running towards this sight, the only way you see it to yourself. A sight rising majestically from the ground, the water showering and spraying around, some people even crying they are in awe. As you near the water it dusts at your face, the feeling so good, so overwhelmingly marvellous. You fill buckets of this valuable joy, because you know it will never last. The children though, enjoy themselves so rightly and obliviously for that moment, the responsibility not theirs. They see it as a game, a new and most amazing toy they have to play with cannot be anything but beneficial to their otherwise so deprived lives.

The aftermath so grateful, the atmosphere is calm, peaceful and serene, never before had anyone witnessed such grace and opportunity. The gift you never realised so wondrous would shape your entire life.

Rosie Mitchell

[This message has been edited by rm711 (12-07-2002 07:35 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Rosie Mitchell - All Rights Reserved
SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
1 posted 2003-01-06 10:42 AM

The blessings of the simple things that can render forth so much joy, even a burst water pipe. I liked this. Sorry I didn't read it earlier.

I am an enigma, even unto myself.
A puzzle unsolved, a mystery maybe until beyond death.  ©das

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Blessing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary