navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Childhood's Good Intentions
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Childhood's Good Intentions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2002-09-30 02:07 AM

Childhood's Good Intentions
By Larry Chadwick

Remember the naiveté of our childhood? Even in our innocence we recognized wrong. Tender and sensitive as we were it didn’t prevent us from visiting wrong again. And again. Block by block we built that Lego(tm) wall. Higher. Thicker. And yet somewhere in our young mind we had a plan. An out.

But as time went by our wall didn’t disappear. We could not make it go away. It lurked there, in our knowing. And it continued somehow to grow. That wall seemed to be the entrance of the dark side of life. Maybe the dark side of our lives. Yet it seemed innocent enough. Like us. Being such a small thing it could hardly matter. After all we had a plan.

Habits. If they are good ones, what a blessing. But habits. If they are bad ones, what a curse. And there we were as young children forming our characters. The good. The bad. But always the plan. If only we had known. But how could we know? We were so, well, we were so naïve. And young.

But being young played into our plan. You remember the plan. We cannot be held fully responsible for the miscalculation of the plan. It was, after all, the adults who presented themselves as knowing everything. Oh, and as not making any mistakes. Hence the plan.

How could it be that a plan schemed as a solution could be such a huge contributing factor to the problem. You remember the problem? Bad habits. Built just a little at a time, one block after another. The plan?

When I grow up… Oh, you recognize the plan! Habits. When will I grow up?

September 29, 2002

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (09-30-2002 01:51 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
1 posted 2002-09-30 11:53 AM

You have definately grown up. Your awesome. I loved the images the stor gives. Very real. Love
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2002-10-01 10:27 AM

Kellie,
The concept of this piece is the idea that children think they will break their habits when they grow up. But then they become adults and discover that isn't the solution as adults don't stop all their bad habits just because they're adults. In that sense, I haven't completely grown up.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

cpalmer
since 2001-06-26
Posts 977
Phoenix, Az
3 posted 2002-10-04 07:26 PM

Larry,
I know you haven't grown up...but I love you anyway!  I know I haven't grown up!  This is a beautiful piece!
Love
Cindi

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2002-10-05 12:24 PM

Cindi,
Ouch! You could have been a little slower to admit that. ROTFLMBO But it's okay since you aren't either. I seem to be in no hurry. You? Thank you for being so sweet and faithful.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Childhood's Good Intentions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary