navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tabby Moon (8 of 8)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tabby Moon (8 of 8) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now

0 posted 2002-08-14 09:23 AM

Yeah, I'm quite sure I didn't need to split this into so many little tiny bits. But it was too long a story to just post all in one piece, and it was sectioned off by things like this anyway:

So. Where there were stars,  I just ripped the story into chunks and posted it.

The final bit:

Tabby Moon (8 of 8)

“Did Tabby come home last night?” That was the first thing Dad said to me when I came into the kitchen for breakfast. I shrugged and fumbled with the cupboard, trying to get a mug for coffee.

“It’s your mother’s birthday today.” Dad sounded tired.

“So be glad Tabby’s gone,” I muttered. Something woke me up before I could get to the coffee, though. It was the new moon tonight. “But I’ll call around and see if she’s with a friend or something.” I hadn’t told Dad about the whole Seth thing, because he would have personally killed Seth whether or not he was guilty.

“Do that.” Dad left the kitchen.

I headed straight for the phone and called up Tabitha’s best friend, Karla.

“Hello?” There was loud music in the background, so I knew it was Karla on the line.

“This is Neil. Is Tabby there?”

“Sorry, man, she just headed out with this hot guy. If she’s coming back, it’ll be a while.”

“Was the guy Seth?”

“Actually, no. She dumped him this morning.”

“Why?”

“He started up with smack. You know how much she hates drugs.”

“Yeah, I do. Have any idea where she went?”

“Beats me. She just left. But she told me she’d be goin’ home tonight.”

“Thanks, Karla.”

“No prob’, Neil.”

I hung up. Tabby wouldn’t have gone to another friend’s house with a hot guy; I knew better than to call anyone else. I could only wait now.

I think that Tabitha had started that four-year magical trip to the moon when she was 17, watching that storm. She’d taught herself how to fly. So now she was 21... So now she was this close to touching the moon, and maybe that’s what the drugs were for. But the moon wasn’t in the sky tonight. God, if she died... I could try to fly after her, but she’d be lost forever.

When night fell and Tabitha’s moon wasn’t in the sky, she still hadn’t come home.

impress me, or be discarded

mpc

© Copyright 2002 LL Hager - All Rights Reserved
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
1 posted 2002-08-14 10:36 AM

so what happened? You can't leave me hanging there, I'm not the moon you know.
Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-08-14 12:33 PM

I like the ending fine...

And I'll actually read this once I'm back from Florida.

Mikey

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
3 posted 2002-08-15 12:40 PM

I do this sometimes. I don't end stories; I write novels. I have two short stories that don't make the end clear at all, then about ten that are three times as long as this one, then a buncha novels. But I have confidence that Tabby was alright. She's just that feisty. Doubt if anything save old age could ever strike her dead.

impress me, or be discarded

mpc

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-08-15 08:05 PM

I read all of these and they are terrific!! You have a good way with conversation - that's hard to do sometimes. I really look forward to reading more of your work. And I think you should submit some of your prose for publication!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Tabby Moon (8 of 8)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary