navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Diary of an Insider
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Diary of an Insider Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2002-07-14 05:41 PM

The radio sounds again, blaring over the city lights.  "You are in violation of everything."  That old country to the west is collapsing into despair.  We had the same problem.  But is theirs worse?  Our leaders all think so.  That place is a chemical wasteland of semiconscious horrors and dreamlike monstrosities.  Ours was only a void where there once was meaningful light.  We all wonder how they will get through this one.  What creative approach will they bring to the table?

A couple of old flyers breeze by my face as I pass one of the local cafes.  It's dark now.  The place has closed for the summer.  Will it ever open again?  Nobody can say for sure.  Sometimes I see Phillip's face gently appear and then disappear amid the shadows.  I've given up chasing after it.  It's no use.  Is he dead?  I dread the thought.  We built so much together, and now the prospect of seeing all that we'd so viciously defended go to waste just doesn't sit well with me.  

We have to visit the old world sometime.  There are rumours of another starship being prepared for the trip, but I've yet to see anything moving with much purpose in this city.  It's just the same old monotonous workday.  

Phillip sightings still abound, but I no longer care.  Phillip was a nice guy, but I don't think it necessary to throw a wildparty every time his shadow supposedly shows up in one of the old cafe windows.  They boarded up the cafe for a good reason, but Phillip wasn't it.  

I stepped out into the hot summer day yesterday.  It was painfully refreshing to sweat out all my hopeless dreams in the middle of a dead field.  The sun smiled as a pulled the damned from their rocky dirt platforms and threw them into perdition.  The guy with the pickaxe hopped as he drove the thing into the ground, destroying the foundation of one more fool who'd dared take root in this empty place.  There's no place for happiness here.  Perdition.

We're all waiting patiently, hoping to delay the inevitable thing, whatever that may be.  The west is still out there somewhere, smouldering in smoke.  The old world is waiting for us to return for a while.  What about Phillip?  I'm waiting, but doing nothing.  He told me to do something all those months ago.  I can't remember what.  He warned me of this.  I can't let him die.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2002 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Diary of an Insider

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary