navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Final Jeopardy
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Final Jeopardy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2002-07-12 01:12 AM

“We are a sorry and pathetic play.”

I exhaled the words, and they hanged in the humidity, curling in the smoke before them, like an accusation. Eddie laughed—but then, Eddie always laughed when he was nervous. The others just looked down.

“Don’t be so quick, princess, to lump 'me' into your 'we'."  Sandra glared through the feistiness of a nine beer buzz, and settled in her argument. Leaning forward, she met my eye, inhaling a hot boxed cigarette, and then she stubbed it out impatiently, sparks flying for emphasis.

I sat back and enjoyed the leisure of an extra long menthol, and replied calmly, “Think about it.”

She leaned back, folding her arms. With narrow eyes, she asked, “What’s the game?”

“Dead Rock Stars.” I replied.

“I’m IN—“ Eddie jumped eagerly.

“Except?  Instead of the famous dead? Let’s just name our friends. By category.” I smiled in a whiskey moment of evil. “Let’s see…suicides, overdoses, the incarcerated, those-that-are-here-but-not (we’ll call that the piss-yourself category), murders, and last but not least? Stupid accidents/questionable death…”

“I don’t like this game.” Brian said quietly.

But I would not be still. “Okay, Alec, I’ll take “stupid accidents” for $500!” I smirked. But no one bit. So I mocked…

“Do we remember 1982? She was a sweet brunette, he was a handsome young bass player. On one still night in September, they had a fight. He let her out of the truck, in a bad part of town—at her insistence--or so the story goes…in a fit of remorse, he put the truck into reverse, to beg her to get back in the truck. He ran right over her—crushing her chest, killing her instantly--name that couple!

“Please stop.” Brian whispered.

“I’m sorry, but that answer is incorrect.”

“I KNOW---Alan and Tammy!” Eddie jumped in glee.

“Sorry Eddie, but the correct response must be in the form of a question. Therefore the correct answer would be: “Who is Alan and Tammy?

I continued. “Since none answered correctly, I will choose again. More Stupid Accidents, for  $800, Alec.”

DOUBLE JEOPARDY!

“Place your wager, please.”

I intoned with deepened voice—“This man almost paralyzed himself in an idiotic moment of bravado—in the stone haze of a bad buzz, he asked a friend to count to ten before he pulled the trigger on the .45 he was holding. The “friend” was unimpressed and quite bored, so he yawned and said, ‘ten.’. Name the cripple for $800.”

Eddie slapped his hand on the table and made an ugly “buzz” noise, yelling, “Matt Borders!”

“You are correct, sir, now to win your wager, who was the friend, who counted too quickly?”

“Vince DePaul!”

“Excellent Eddie…how much was your wager?”

“I forgot…” Ed blushed.

“No matter, “ I replied. “You are on the board. We’ll just make that $1600. Choose a category, please.”

“I’ll take overdoses for $100.”

“You sure you can overdose on $100, Ed?” I grinned. I felt myself growing horns on my head. “Bad joke.” I winked.

“You are being evil,” Sandra hissed.

“Okay….this woman overdosed as recently as the nineties—on a relatively new drug—oxycontin—she was found by her 13 year old daughter. Name that TUNE.”

Eddie slapped the table again. “MELODY!” he laughed, “Oh dude, ’Tune was a dead give-away…”

He put his hand over his mouth in hush as he realized what had been said.

“Let’s stop…” his eyes were innocently pained. Stupid, but caring, even he realized the obscenity.

“Yes. Let’s stop.” Brian was crying.

“Yes. Why don’t we?”

I asked the final jeopardy question.

“You are a bitch.” Sandra glared, and popped the top of another Budweiser.

[This message has been edited by serenity (07-12-2002 02:34 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2002-07-12 09:31 AM

be back to read this later when the warden leaves
wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
2 posted 2002-07-12 09:59 AM

Are you sure...we haven't met??
It seems to me, that a story such as this would have been lived/written by someone less serene and more wrankled.

I do like your slant on things, but then, you probably know that.

~wranx

"Writing is a perfectly natural thing to do...provided it's done in private and you wash your hands afterward"....Heinlein.

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
3 posted 2002-07-12 10:35 AM

This is fabulous writing... wish I could do that sometimes...

Regards,
sudhir

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2002-07-12 12:52 PM

I'm trying to clear the smoke just to get to your table and shaking your hand for such a realistic portrayal...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2002-07-12 04:44 PM

grinning at Kari about the realism--ESPECIALLY THAT LAST LINE??? roflmao...

but thank you, I was trying to write it real...

Sudhir, I thank you as well. Yer a doll...

and wranx? I've got this funny feeling that I DO KNOW YOU...hmmmm...doncha hate that? these words strike fear in my heart: "Don't I know you?" Standard answer: "I swear, baby, he must have mistaken me for someone else!" Thanks for reading, I've been enjoying your work much.

Jan--I look forward to you "meeting my friends" ttyl, you!

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

6 posted 2002-07-12 10:06 PM

I'll take "who is an exceptional writer" for $1000

I, Like Kari...saw you sitting there..
watched this unfold...and smelled the smoke and beer.
very clever,write KA ... the sarcastic egde to mask the loss was most effective.

We only write FICTION, right baby?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2002-07-13 12:25 PM

Jan? sssshhh..tell ya a secret? I WAIT for your replies--like hugs across cyberspace--and I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. We respect what you think. Hell, I respect THAT you think. (but y'see the company I keep now...lol) just kidding. IT'S ALL FICTION!!! (serenity said, on the way to the gallows...)

Thank you. and I oughtta give you a thousand bucks, just for the compliment!

love you!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

8 posted 2002-07-14 05:51 PM

Hm...  This was an interesting story.  Quite depressing, but still I liked it a lot.  

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2006-01-04 02:50 PM

I seldom do this, but I bumped this for Mysteria.

Pardon my self-advertisement, here.

and shaking my head--we should've started a "pool" that night.

Everybody would have placed bets on ME, I think.

Rest in Peace, Brian B. sighing

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
10 posted 2006-01-14 03:50 AM

Just hugs K-lady.
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2006-06-15 04:45 AM

Bumped for Mysteria again..LOL martyjo
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
12 posted 2006-06-15 05:18 PM

I have a sudden urge to look up this year's Darwin Award winners.  

Nice read, Karen.  It's never ceases to amaze me how squeamish some people can get over something as trivial as death.  I mean, afterall, it's something we are all fated for, isn't it?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2006-06-15 06:18 PM

Nod.

It took me a long time to figure out that it's written into the "contract".

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
14 posted 2006-06-15 10:28 PM

Actually I read it but the lump in my throat was so big my fingers wouldn't work to type a comment     I was thinking actually you could have written this last week.

Realistic?  You got that right, and I am still feeling it today, and not quite sure what to say, except I wish I was there more than ever to just hug you all.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
15 posted 2006-06-17 11:22 PM

wow.. this was amazing. It is probably not down to my level to give you any kind of feedback so I just wanted to say that I loved this. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It seemed so real I could see this happening. The story kind of played in my head. great job..

~Heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Final Jeopardy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary