navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Getting Rid of Hominy
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Getting Rid of Hominy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2002-05-23 05:02 AM

Getting Rid of Hominy

When I was a young boy my mom used to tell me to eat all of my vegetables and I usually would except for those days she would serve the dreaded hominy.
And on those days I was not allowed to leave the table until I finished every bite...of hominy.
Now I'm not sure why she thought like that.
Perhaps something to do with people starving in Africa or it could have something to do with her living through the depression.
At any rate I didn't like hominy and some would say I dispised it.   Something about the taste that made me want to throw up.
So I learned little tricks to ease myself of the drugery of consuming this horrid morsel known as hominy.  If my mom left the table I could talk one of my brothers into consuming some of my hominy.  I might hide some of it in my baseball hat and excuse myself to go to the bathroom where I would flush it.
And then there was always my mom's pekinese.  These two little furry food monsters were allowed to roam freely under the table to devour any food scraps that might come their way.
Unfortunately they didn't like hominy either.   Like most dogs they prefered the luxury of meat.
But I found that if I rubbed some of my chicken all over the hominy those silly pekinese dogs would gobble the hominy down before they realized it was hominy and not chicken.
Then they would always get that silly look on their face like "Hey you tricked us into eating your hominy again."
All is fair when it comes to getting rid of hominy.

JamesLee
May23

© Copyright 2002 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-05-23 11:49 AM

"Hominy times do I have to tell you? Clean your plate!" (sorry...couldn't resist)

Enjoyed the view...a nice memory of universal childhood torture...

left me with a big grit-eating grin on my face...

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2002-05-23 02:05 PM

universal? grits is one o' the few things i liked as a kid.

this was funny James... again.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2002-05-25 03:02 PM

Thank you serenity and Christopher for responding...I almost can't believe that someone likes hominy...not I...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Getting Rid of Hominy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary