navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Jackpot
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Jackpot Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2002-05-16 07:07 PM

“The Jackpot”
851 words

Joyce glanced around the large church hall.  There was very little sound although the room seemed packed.  Everyone seemed intent upon the square cards in front of them.  Only the hum of the numbered celluloid balls as they whirred in the wire cage, and the announcer’s call of the number broke the silence.

The evening had been a quiet one, one of many she had learned to enjoy by herself in the three years since her marriage had broken up.   She had at first felt quite happy with Jack up in Tumbler Ridge, until finally his mounting neglect of her and her downward spiraling self esteem had culminated in divorce from him as a release from her unhappiness and insecurity.  Sure she thought, she was alone at times but what a difference between being lonely and being alone.  She knew was she more alone lonely in her marriage than she was now, so it had been the right decision.  It was not until after her divorce she had discovered of  Jack’s infidelity, which hurt even more.  People had finally told her that she was not the first but one in a series of women Jack had cheated on.

She had come to the big city to make a fresh start in life and to live in such an atmosphere as would free her from former surroundings in a small town.  With her earlier business training, plus her own youth and good looks, as she was still in her twenties, she soon obtained a comfortable position as a secretary in an insurance broker’s office.  In a small though comfortable suite in a converted old mansion whose days had seen the suburbs reach out and leave it almost in the busy city itself, Joyce had at last found some peace and a mild kind of happiness.

This was one of her weekly bingo evenings.  It was relaxing to be able to merely sit and listen for numbers being called, though tonight it had not been at all exciting and she had not yet won anything.  

The friendly older lady, at whose table she usually sat, chiefly so that she would have someone to chat with now and again, had already won a small prize and was quite elated and pleased about it.  Joyce knew that her newly found friend was an old age pensioner, and no doubt this extra money would be a very welcome addition to her modest income.

Now came the final game, which was a jackpot game and tonight it had  an unusually large prize.  Joyce’s card had not been particularly lucky this evening, and she had not changed it as so many do during the course of the play.  She always imagined that to change a card was to create greater odds against herself.  The numbers called seemed to fill her card quickly now, and she was kept busy keeping enough plastic counters ready to place over them.

Now only the number sixteen remained to be covered.  It seemed an eternity before the announcer called 16, Joyce’s only remaining number.

“Bingo,” she shouted happily but her cry was echoed in another part of the hall, near the exit she usually used, and which opened onto the lane through which she made the short cut back to her suite.  “Well,” thought Joyce happily, “even if I share it, the five hundred dollars will pay for a lot more pleasant evenings here, and it is exciting to really win a prize.”

She gathered her belongings together while replying gaily to her old lady friend’s congratulations, then started to wend her way to the far exit.  As she neared the very last table in the wide room, another girl was rising to leave also.

“Well, what d’you know?  If it isn’t Joyce Hunter.  I didn’t so much as realize that you lived in Vancouver.  How are you?  It’s been ages since I saw you.  And would you believe it, Joyce, I’ve won this last game, though it has to be shared with another woman.  It couldn’t be you, could it?  This is fun, isn’t it, dear?  Well, I must hurry away as my husband’s waiting for me outside, but if you’re here next week at the same time, we’ll get a chance to talk over old times/”

Rosemary Winter had been one of Joyce’s classmates when she had graduated from High School, and they had seen very little of each other since then.  Least of all, Joyce hadn’t expected to find an old classmate at a Vancouver bingo game that’s for sure.

By the time, however, a tallish man had appeared at Rosemary’s side, and Joyce could hardly believe her own eyes!

There was Jack, her ex-husband, and looking as slick as ever.  Truth really did have a habit of being stranger than fiction.  But Rosemary chatted on unperturbed.

“Oh, here you are, darling.  I’ve just won five hundred dollars.  Isn’t that just too wonderful for words?”

She turned to Joyce, laying her hand on her husband’s arm.  

“Jack, meet Joyce.” She began.  “We two went to school together and here’s she been busy winning the other half of my prize money.”

“Goodness, what’s the matter…she asked, seeing the odd expressions on the two faces.  “You two haven’t met before have you,” she asked suspiciously.

By this time Joyce had regained some of her usual composure.  She forced herself to smile at her erstwhile school friend, and flashed a humorous grin in Jack’s direction.

“Let’s say, Rosemary,” she answered half laughing, before slipping out the nearest exit open, “that you and I have already shared the truly super grand Jackpot.”

May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your life.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (05-16-2002 07:09 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-05-16 08:08 PM

Yes!  Great story, good delivery, and one heck of a punchline!  I am SO glad you are venturing into prose some more...Now, while this doesn't lend itself to a series, I'll just BET you've got one in you...dig it out!  I want to see it!

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
2 posted 2002-05-17 05:44 AM

Loved the analogy and the ending
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2002-05-17 02:21 PM

Hi there, I have been playing around with llttle stories for something to do with help from a site my friend has, and some of the writer's on there help.  Thanks for your support and if you have time, have a peek at her site, it is worth the visit.
http://www.dreamwater.org/art/falconspen/

~* Carpe' Diem *~

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
4 posted 2002-05-17 02:43 PM

cool, and "just desserts?"
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2002-05-17 10:28 PM

Ill be back to finish this when I can do so without being interupted...like I have been twice already ....
dont these people know a moth has got poetry to read!!

How long can a girl be haunted by you ...
Soon I'll grow up and I wont even flinch at your name.

Alanis Morissette

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

6 posted 2002-05-18 07:44 AM

Sure she thought, she was alone at times but what a difference between being lonely and being alone.  She knew was she more alone lonely in her marriage than she was now,
======================================

one just never knows when one will find a reflection of themselves in anothers words.
I enjoyed this Sharon, right off you created a character that made us want to know more about her.I loved the twist this took and the
endings surprise and payback.
Thanks for the link too..I'll check it out.

How long can a girl be haunted by you ...
Soon I'll grow up and I wont even flinch at your name.

Alanis Morissette

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Jackpot

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary