navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Thunder in the Garden
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Thunder in the Garden Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2002-05-07 09:37 PM

He'll carve in stone and he'll gouge a plank of wood into a world.  Steven always liked to watch him through dark cynical ignorant glasses.  Poor old chap, has nothing better to do!

Lots of people liked to watch him through ignorance.  Despite the insults and the things thrown at him, he keeps it up.  He'll try to make a living at all sorts of things, so that he can keep carving and gouging.  

"HEY!" One foreman called, "Watch what you're doing!"

"YOU!" Another screamed, "You're fired!  Get out of here, foolish idiot!"

So, he keeps picking up his mat and walking away, going elsewhere, carving and creating wherever he goes.  

Steven the cynical man watched the man as he worked.  He always got so determined to do his job, always eager to please his boss.  But still, he just won't pay attention to a damned thing he says!  "HEY!" Did he want him?  Perhaps the next guy?  "YOU!"  Steven laughed but felt sorry for the poor fool.  He's in it now!

Steven felt content with his work.  He knew at the end of the day the boss liked his work.  His was the place of favouritism.  And there lies the fool...  The carver knew he was at risk of causing his boss to have a stroke at the end of each day.  "Do what you're told, boy!"

One day Steven was watching the fool toiling at his work.  He was trying to move the dirt the way the boss had said.  

"No no," Steven said.  The fool looked up and stared into Steven's face, waiting for instruction.  "Like this."  Steven grabbed the hoe and tilled the dirt, craddling the hoe as he would a young child.  

The fool okayed it, accepting Steven's instruction and went back to his pitiful attempt at doing the job right.  He was the sinner destined for the hell of his boss's angry frustration.  "HEY!"

"Thanks," The fool muttered to Steven.  Maybe this will be the thing that keeps me out of HIS spotlight.

"Don't worry," Steven said, "Relax man!"

So, he tried not to worry.  He tried to stay focused on the job, but at the same time the worry stayed in his mind.  It was a thorn that dug into his mind.  When will the words lash my mind again?  The sheep would soon be separated from the goat.  Nonetheless, the fool continued his toil, his mind churning away some more ways and directions and feelings and thoughts to think while striking and gouging and carving.  

Tonight I'll pen the work.

"HEEEYYYYY!!!"

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2002 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
1 posted 2002-05-08 10:15 AM

Fractal, this was an interesting and shattered view, fractured glass splintered through every word...and I like it.
Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Thunder in the Garden

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary