navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Fight for Life
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fight for Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray

0 posted 2002-02-17 11:51 PM

Carefully you run your tongue over sun stained lips, brittle and dry from hours of undaunted abuse.  The unrelenting god of the sky glares as you float in an endless expanse of green.  There isn't a part of your body that isn't sore from the upward fight against the rocking and tugging sway of sea that holds you captive.  Around your middle, hooked beneath your arms is a white doughnut, your only link to fading life and hope.  You no longer remember how you got there, nor do you remember how many days it has been since you have seen land.
       As your muscles begin to atrophy in your arms, the will to slip into the sheath of warm salt water becomes overwhelming and your hands begin to release their hold upon the ropes that weave around the life preserver.  Deeply you pull in what you believe to be your last breath.  The air is humid against the inside of your mouth and in your sensitized state you feel the elements of water as if they are separate from the oxygen and nitrogen.  For a moment it is enough to make you salivate, before the green enshrouds you.
       Your eyes are closed as you drop, the fall almost surrealistic.  In the brief instant before panic sets in you see the flashes of all that you have known in your life.  The people you have known, the events you have seen, in flashes yet all at once, like simultaneous three-second videos that give enough information to give recognition while still keeping the reliving of the experience at bay.  Your lungs burn as the instinctual need to release the content forces your body to concede.  You give birth to your last exhale in stubborn bursts of panic and fight the pressure to pull in again, holding on to that last desperate second of life.  Your body flails against the water and you look upward to see a ceiling of aqua marine light and you kick toward it.

[This message has been edited by amusemi (02-18-2002 08:51 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 kat fer - All Rights Reserved
Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
1 posted 2002-02-18 03:28 PM

This is good...I felt as though I were there
fighting for my own life...Nicely written..
Very nicely written...  I do think you might
have misspelled instinctual...toward the
bottom...mayhaps you might want to check it.

DID ENJOY THIS...

amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
2 posted 2002-02-18 08:54 PM

An internet friend asked me to write for him and I started this and never finished it.  Originally dolphins would come along and help the person to the surface...but, you know how best made plans run astray!!!  Heehee...Thanks for reading and letting me know about the spelling.  I can't find the spell check on this new lap-top...it stinks!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Fight for Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary