navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Food for a Day (My first prose)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Food for a Day (My first prose) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2002-02-02 12:43 PM

Food for a Day
By Larry Chadwick

I'll give it a whirl and see...

It felt good to have my own restaurant. Finally, I might have the chance to make a difference everyday. It seemed that our town had too many poor. It wasn’t hard to recall what that was like. Business was good and the holidays were approaching.

I spread the word and put out posters suggesting that this Thanksgiving nobody in our town should go hungry or spend the day alone. It might cost plenty but I was willing to take the chance. We stocked up on our holiday menu items and staffed the kitchen well enough that keeping up should not be difficult.

With anticipation I opened up the place and waited to see what would happen. It wasn’t long when people began to the fill the dining area. Busy with a  non-paying and satisfied customer, it was hard to ignore the Mercedes SL500 when it parked right by the front door. A handsome couple, with a wardrobe to match their car, entered the premises and were seated.

Oddly enough, they mingled well with today’s patrons. After a time it was easy to forget they were there with all the distractions of a busy meal. Without even realizing what had happened they were gone. No effort made at all to receive a dining bill.

Resentfully, I went to bus their table. Who did they think they were taking advantage of my generous offer. It was my intent to only feed the needy not the greedy. Gruffly I stacked their plates and silver ware.

I never saw it coming. But the shame I felt was as intense as any experienced in my life. So busy with my goodness I had assumed I bore the burden and the rewards alone. Under his plate was enough money to cover more then half the cost of my efforts for the day. He needed no recognition at all. Why did I? Resentment and pride…what ugly emotions!

February 1, 2002

[This message has been edited by Larry C (02-02-2002 11:26 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2002-02-02 03:21 AM

Larry, you did prose wonderfully. I actually would have liked this to keep going. Very well done!
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2002-02-02 10:20 AM

SEA,
Thanks. This was told to me by a friend this week. He choked back tears as he recalled the memory.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2002-02-02 12:00 PM

Excellent story! I would also like to see it expanded a bit.
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
4 posted 2002-02-02 12:28 PM

Yes I agree...more would be awesome!!  I love the thought and ideals in this piece.  Well, done.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2002-02-02 11:20 PM

Poet deVine,
Well...being completely green, I have to give that much thought. This story was told to me this week by my friend the Restraunteur. So I'm not sure how to develop it. Hmmm. But I'm thrilled you like it.  

amusemi,
Cool. It had that same impact when my friend told me. Not sure what to do to expand but...
Thanks.  

[This message has been edited by Larry C (02-02-2002 11:21 PM).]

amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
6 posted 2002-02-03 12:52 PM

I guess one always wants more of a good thing!!!  LOL
ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA
7 posted 2002-02-03 01:09 PM

almost a fable
completely a lesson to absorb, souly.

a good journalistic approach to writing about
someone's else recollections, which is never ever
easy to do, and you did more than fine with this, Larry!
tSR

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2002-02-03 08:51 PM

Quite literally, a tasty treat, reading this one. Larry, I rarely pop into this section, but I am glad I did today. Would you believ, during game time? LOL, football isn't too high on my list, but pregame and halftime was great, with Paul McCartney and U2. So what's Superbowl entertainment got to do with your story here? Both offer good food for thought.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
9 posted 2002-02-03 11:16 PM

amusemi,
Well...I'm with you there. Thank you.

SR,
Thanks. Those are very kind words. I appreciate it. I loved the story but wasn't sure how to present it.

Midnitesun,
LOL Imagine (no pun) PIPs competition to the superbowl and Paul McCartney. Well maybe not Paul. Thanks.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Food for a Day (My first prose)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary