navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My autobiography, Pg. 162
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My autobiography, Pg. 162 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula

0 posted 2002-02-01 06:40 PM

This essay was written origionally for an entry for a scholorship.  It is page 162 of my imaginary autobiography.  lemme know what you think!
After what seemed like an eternity of thinking, I found that I had but one choice.  Little did I realize at that point, that this choice would affect me for the rest of my life.  

Instantly, I had begun to move.  Gathering what few possessions I deemed worthy of taking, I stuffed them quickly into a small bag.  Moving into my bedroom I found clothes enough for a week.  It was all set.  By that time tomorrow I would be on my way.

Now, as I said, this decision to leave my home, family and whole world behind would live with me for the rest of my life.  After thinking about it, I decided that it would haunt me as well.  Everyday, I felt weighed down by the importance of making this decision.  It would impact more than just my family and I.  Countless nights I had awoken from nightmares about my future.  Second guessing myself became a part of my daily routine.

Early the next morning I was on a plane to Washington D.C.  Looking once more at the letter that I had received only a week ago, I wondered how something so innocent and insignificant as this could change my life forever.  It was a letter from the Central Intelligence Agency.  I had applied for a job there a year ago, and had thought that my application had been lost in the mail, ignored, or thrown away.  Apparently it hadn't, because this letter expressed an immediate desire for a meeting with me.  What they wished to gain by this, I had no idea.  

Time and time again, I would remember sending that fax to Washington D.C.  I would remember the hesitation of pressing the send button.  I would remember gaining the confirmation, along with specific instructions on what I was supposed to do while I was there.  I would remember leaving my home of fifteen years behind.  Fear of failure crossed my mind as it combated the need of accomplishing my childhood dream.

On October 18, 2019 I met with my future employer, Mr. Tom Warden.  I remember him as a quiet man, though authority poured out of him with every word he spoke.  Even in silence, his presence was commanding. Hard years had lined his face.  Mr. Warden took me through the interview process, and then we moved into the polygraph test.  I passed it with flying colors.  Laid before me now was a job with the CIA of the United States.  

I was given a week before I would start my job.  Finding temporary housing, they said, would take at least this long, if not longer, but that couldn't be helped.  Before my first day there, they never spoke about what I would be doing with my new job.  For all I knew, I could have ended up with a job as an international intelligence officer or something like a janitor.   It never really mattered to me.  My life long dream of working for them was finally coming true.  As I walked in for my first day, a week later, I realized just how much my life had already changed and how much it would change from this moment on.

"Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other course, no other way... No day but today"
~Broadway Musical RENT~

*Cassandra Roseen*

© Copyright 2002 Cassandra Roseen - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-02-17 08:06 AM

Hello! Haven't been in prose for awhile, so thought I'd come in.

You don't ask for a critique other than in your first line. So....

You've placed this in 2019. Already technology is such that one could use a computer from which to send a resume, and bypass a Fax machine entirely.  I would think that receiving a letter from the CIA would be up in front of the beginning of this fictional excerpt, giving reason as to the move.  Also, are you now 15 in the story, or did you just live in that particular home for 15 years? That is unclear.

In order to get such a job with the CIA, you need to do more research on what one would really go through in order to obtain such a position. I believe that it would encompass more than an interview and a polygraph test.  Even for a janitor.

I like the idea, but would be interested in how the scholarship came out, and then to see what you think about these suggestions. I would be interested if you gave this a re-write. If so, let me know, I would be interested in reading it again.

amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
2 posted 2002-02-17 04:58 PM

Not experienced to critique...so I will just say I enjoyed the read and think this is a solid start.

Secret Whisper
since 2001-01-25
Posts 298
Through the Looking Glass
3 posted 2002-03-23 06:00 PM

Wow, if this is page 162 I'd like to read the rest. Very well written! I liked it!

"Why should I live? Why should I do anything? Is there in life any purpose which the inevitable death that awaits me does not undo and destroy?" -- Le

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My autobiography, Pg. 162

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary