navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » To Sadie.my steel magnola (Civil war letter 5)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic To Sadie.my steel magnola (Civil war letter 5) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.

0 posted 2001-09-05 03:45 PM

The battle had bogged down to a bloody stalmate.Neither side could prevail over the other and niether was willing to with draw.We recieved a report that the Yankees had brought in re-enforcements.They had moved longer ranged cannons on the high ridge behind the center of their line and were moving more troops up to their lines.Our cannons could not reach their cannons.We were told we must ride deep behind the Union lines and destroy those guns.If the enemy charged backed up by those cannons our line would break and the battle would be lost.We fought our way through the Union line and made staight for the batterys on the ridge.They began firing cannister shot at us.Our calvary was scattered.All of a sudden my world turned into a cloud of fire and iron.A shell exploded in front of me and every thing whent black.
I came to surrounded by blue clad soldiers.I was only rendered unconscience but the force of the explosion and had only a few flesh wounds.At gun point I was ordered to drop my sword and surrender.
I was bound and led back to behind the lines.My wounds were attended to and I lay under guard in a Union camp.I was given a cup of coffee and I reached in my coat pocket for the silver flask I carried.A Yankee soldier said "What do you have there,reb?I handed him the flask.It was a birthday gift from my mother and had a picture of her on the side with the inscription "To my beloved son".It held some brandy stolen from a Union medic tent.I told the soldier I was going to sweeten my coffee with some brandy.He got a cup of coffee and said "May I share your brandy?".I most graciously nodded yes.We sipped our coffee and he started to talk.I am from a farm in Ohio.I had never been off the farm till I was drafted.I told him about the plantation at Twelve oaks and we were soon talking about raising crops.He said they raised wheat and corn and I said we had cotten and tobacco.He asked me about the slaves on our plantation.I told him the stories about how the slaves were abused was exagerated.I said sick poorly fed workers do not make for high crop yeilds.We talked in to the night and as he was relieved on the watch he handed me the flask.He said I am a soldier.I am not a thief.
    The next day I spotted a group of our calvary officers riding toward the Union camp bearing a white flag.They had a waggon load of yankee prisoners.They met with the Union officers in a tent.They were led over to were we were being held.
I recognized my commanding officer amoung the group.
We he saw me he rush to greet me.He shook my hand and wryly said "Did you get lost yesterday"?I just smiled and said "It was not my idea.I was asked to join these fellows".He observed my bandages and aquired as to my health.I allowed I thought I might live.I joined a few of our men in the back of the waggon and was soon heading back to my army.We had not been able to quite the cannons on the ridge and our army was forced it quit the field.They had to with draw.The yankees won that one.We are camped now and have been given time to recover and recieve re-enforcements.I know we will try again to take that ridge for it over looks a town that we must rescue.I think about the lad from Ohio and am gratfull for his kindness.I must stop writing now and rest.I do not have much time to regain my health.I am happy that I got exchanged for yankee prisoners.I do not think I could bear lagiishing in a Union prison camp for the remainder of the war.I do not know when I will be able to write again.I carry thoughts of you in my heart.Write me soon.

Wounded but still yours

Robert

paladin

[This message has been edited by paladin (edited 09-05-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Robert E. Jackson - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2001-10-10 10:48 AM

Paladin~
Another for my enjoyment.
Thank you~
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
   noles1@totcon.com              

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
2 posted 2007-01-31 02:26 PM

Wonderful Series from start to finish.
The strength, the emotion, the imagery, all captivating.

MoonShadow

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » To Sadie.my steel magnola (Civil war letter 5)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary